How do you get a cracked/crackled look in a clear finish

I recently saw a new hutch that was dyed an ebony color and had a clear finish the surface of which was covered in very small cracks. It was certainly done on purpose (some other pieces in the showroom had the same effect). Any Ideas on how to achieve that effect? Thanks in advance for any help.
Never done it but I've read where you coat the surface with hide glue (Franklin's) and it creates this affect. There's also crackle spray paints available at hobby / arts and crafts stores.
It's all I can do to keep the cracks out of my projects... and you want to put them in!
Bob S.

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:57:58 GMT, "Connearney"

A very basic effect.
Find a good book on paint effects, some hide glue (the cold stuff in the tube works OK) and some acrylic glaze medium (from a good paint shop). Then you can mix your own.
You can also buy ready-mixed crackle glazes. These are incredibly expensive, compared to buying a glaze and making your own.
The generic name is "crackle", believe it or not. Brush it on a (usually) an acrylic paint and it will pucker. Finish with a varnish. You'd have to talk to somebody at an art supplies store for use on other surfaces.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Connearney wrote:

There are several ways to do this if you can spray lacquer i can tell how it is done If you can't there is a method with Varnish but i'll have to find the book that gives me the formula. It will probably crack with old age before i can find it but let me know and I will look for it <G>