How do you explain my healed miter saw?

A few weeks ago I had a post about a grating noise when my Ryobi CMS stopped spinning. It cut okay and didn't sound unusual when starting or running. I also checked with Ryobi. They said it was the brushes wearing out, which they do in a relatively short period.

Well, I took my good Freud blade and the laser off it and put a crappy Dewalt blade on, with the intention of dumping it on Craigslist. (yes, I was going to mention the brushes! Somebody would want it for $25.) Well, I tried it and it worked fine! I put the Freud blade and laser back on, and it still worked fine. It is healed.

What the heck is going on? The blade was on tight and it worked fine for months before the noise started; so I don't think anything was loose. And it cut alright even after the noise started.

Maybe I should get rid of it quickly...

Reply to
Toller

I have a Makita MS. It was making some funny noises a while back and it turned out to be some wood scraps which were caught in the blade housing.

Fell out when I changed blades - now back to normal.

Just a thought.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

But just when stopping? Well, it makes more sense than healing.

Reply to
Toller

I am guessing that you probably spun the motor backwards a bit when you removed the blade and caused the brushes to shift a bit. I would also think that the noise will come back sooner than later.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe the rest of the time the noise is masked by the motor?

Bill

Reply to
W Canaday

No, it was a horrible loud sound; and the machine actually shuddered from it for a half second. I would have taken it to be grinding gears, but I don't think there are any. But... its fine now!

Reply to
Toller