How do I stop my desk from wobbling?

Help! (C: I just finished a mission-style desk that I've been working on for a while. The front and back skirts (I hope that's the right term--imagine the part where desk drawers would go) are 5" high, and are secured to the legs via M&T joints. "Secured" isn't the right word because...well...the joints are pretty crappy. The desk seems fairly secure, but tonight someone accidentally bumped into it, and it wobbles from side to side...NOT GOOD. I tested it front to back, and it's solid. But I'm scratching my head--now that it's all stained/assembled, how the heck do I "shore up" the front/back skirts to stop the wobble (and prevent it from--GOD FORBID--just falling apart on me)?

Thanks for any help...

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

Perhaps you might want to post some pictures of it into alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking so that we can see what you did.

Reply to
Tbone

But is the floor level?

Be sure to check-out our webpages...

kb8qlr

"the joints are pretty crappy", Take it apart and put it back together correctly or go to Wal Mart and get a press board one..

Reply to
Mike G

For what it's worth, I think I figured out how to fix my own problem.

The front/back skirts are 3/4" wide, and they are tenonned at the end to go into a mortise that is in the middle of a 1 1/2" leg. This should leave me 3/8ths on each side. The problem is at least one (probably 2 or more) of the tenons are too small, and/or not deep enough into the mortise. So, my solution is to make a long strip (about 3-4") that is 3/8ths of an inch square, and secure it on the inside of the leg/skirt joing, right where the skirt butts up against the leg. I figure if I do this on all 4 sides, it should stop or reduce the wobble. DUH, why didn't I think of this before? (C;

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer