How do I set up a mortising bit on a drill press?

Hi, I'm new to this newsgroup posting, but have a question about setting up a mortising bit on a drill press. I am trying to make a set of cabinets and want to use a mortise and tenon joint. I bought a mortising bit and set it up on the drill press but I'm having problems with stability. Can someone please tell me how to properly set up a mortising bit? The chisel comes in contact with the drill chuck and I have to hold it in place. This doesn't seem right. Is there anyone out there who knows how and can explain to me the proper way to use this bit? Thanks, Charlie

You have to buy the outfit that holds the bit/chisel set for one thing... both Delta and Grizzly make them, wider choice of sizes from Grizzly. I think it goes according to the diameter of quill, which would the collar size of the jig. It's called a "mortising attachment": http://www.grizzly.com/products/items-list.cfm?key$0200 http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e 9&p73
--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
charliemoore wrote:

up a

tenon
I'm
properly
chuck and

out
bit?
DAMHIKT but when you get the mortising attachment, make sure you have a piece of wood covering the drill press table (especially that little hole) while you are mounting the chisel in the mortising attachment. For some reason that chisel has a nasty habit of slipping out before you tighten the screw. Dropping it into a nice soft wood a few inches away is preferred to the steel table top or when that little hole is lined up properly (you can bet it will be this time) the steel base. :)
There is an adapter you need for the drillpress. Here's the Delta version (Amazon.com product link shortened)
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:49:44 -0500, "charliemoore "