How do I know if I need a new switch for 240v?

Page 2 of 2

You really don't have a clue, do you?

Toller wrote:

elements of electric horsepower. Having the proper Voltage and amperage rating on a switch would have the proper horsepower rating. Possibly your used table saw motor may of been defective and drawing a bit more than it was suppose to. or the V A calculations were wrong. A breaker or fused should of tripped.
But then again as the tread goes on, someone mentioned something about a magnetic switch, that is probably the better answer.

Umm, can you explain that to me? You see, my understanding is that voltage is expressed as E. I am also given to understand that amperage is expressed as I. I heard once that P (power in watts) is expressed as volts times amps, or P=IE. Now here is where it starts to get tricky for the uninformed. Power is also expressed as W (for watts) and that there are roughly 746 watts per HP (given the givens and assuming the assumptions). So, the long and the short of it, as I see it, is that there is a direct relationship between amps, volts, and hp.
What does that mean for you? Well, if you will simply explain how you can be okay on voltage and amperage and still have a problem with the hp of the motor, I'll take back everything I've ever said about your electrical incompetency. Since CW has summed it up much more succinctly than I (that you don't have a clue), you'll be unable to and I won't have to eat a single word.
Bottom line: don't give electrical advice. You are so far out of your element you are dangerous.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
As an aside, LRod, they are no longer teaching it as "E". They now use "V". I guess someone decided that is was to hard to remember. Seems I confuse the modern electronic types too when I use the term megacycles. :)

You mean back when pico-farads were mickey-mikes? You won't ever confuse me with those terms. My license dates from 1963.
You know, kilocycle cops never took off in an updated form; kilohertz cops. I guess ya gotta be a DX'er to understand that one (and you may be).
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
<<As an aside, LRod, they are no longer teaching it as "E". They now use "V". I guess someone decided that is was to hard to remember. >>
You mean Eli is now the Vice Man?
Lee

_________________________________
I hadn't thought about that until you brought it up. They still teach that saying, in it's original form. Never occurred to me why so many had such trouble with it.

Megacycles - those are the big cycles, right? The really big cycles.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Do you really suppose that the horsepower of a motor is independent of the voltage and amperage?
--
Regards,
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

At sears, yes.
scott :-)

Please Toller - go study ohm's law.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

not covered by ohm's law. (can you say "impedence"? Can you say "starting current"? Didn't think so.)
Toller wrote:

to a frequency. in a motor a capacitor is use to lighten the load when the motor starts and basically does not much afterwards. As I can See Toller, your not well respected on your comments in this news group. further more, the others in this newsgroup seem to take what is spoken and elaborate on it, while your simply trying to knock someone down. Well if this is your "thing" let it be so, the rest of us will simply keep on sawing while your trying to make yourself better than others.
I though news groups were to help and discuss issues not to black ball others????
To the other's, I'd like to present myself, as an electronics hobbies that also likes wood working. I've been scanning the threads for quite some times now, "about 9 months" I like the conversations and the good hearted replies that come from all of you. Keep up the good spirit.
I've learned so much from this newsgroup. Kooda to all.
Roger Bigras.
And my 10Cents for Toller. Either Ohm's law is V=IR or E=IR or P=IV or w=IV
In my book, 2X2 = 4 The variable is irrelevant to the equation, If you know the watts that a horsepower takes, then the rest is MATH.
And as I said!!!!!!!! If the calculations are correct then the switch will work! Final period. Otherwise Your wasting Your time.
So in the future, If I don't reply to any of your comments, You'll know why. If you don't, You will when you can figure out E=MC^2
Till Then have fun dissing people.
Roger.

At the risk of sounding repetitive...
While you're studying this stuff, don't be surprised to find that ohm's law well covers those issues.
You're throwing out a bunch of terms that have meaning but they do nothing to support your case. If you understood ohm's law and other principles of electricity you'd know the folly of your statement. Electrical discussion haven't been your strong suit here - I can't help but wonder why you step into this same trap time and time again.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Typically this is normal as there is less voltage drop when you power up.

Replace the switch and while you are at it spend the extra $ and get a Magnetic 240v switch. If using a magnetic switch and you have an interruption of power you have to manually turn the saw back on. Handy if you forget to turn the saw off before the power comes back on.