How do I join the frames to make a cabinet?

Here's a question for you experienced cabinetmakers out there.

I'm building a traditional-style (close to Stickley) bookcase with glass doors and frame-and-panel cabinet construction. The basic plan calls for a back frame, two side frames, a bottom frame and a top frame. The front has only a rail across the bottom with the glass doors above it.

The top assembly consists of the top frame (without panels) that sits on top of the side and back frames; the top frame's faces are horizontal and it's edges are visible in the final product. A solid wood top is attached to the top frame by hardware that allows for movement of the solid top.

The plans I'm working from specify a rabbet where the back frame fits into the side frames and a horizontal groove all the way around the bottom for the bottom frame to fit in. I'm supposed to screw the back frame into it's rabbett. But the plans say nothing about glueing any of the completed frames to each other. (I'm not talking about glueing stiles and rails together to make the individual frames.) Don't I need these frames joined together with glue to form the cabinet?

Specifically:

  1. Where the back frame fits into a rabbet in the side frames, it is screwed in but should I glue this joint too?

  1. The bottom frame sits in a groove at the bottom of the cabinet; should I glue that joint all the way around?

  2. The plans say nothing about joining the top frame to the side and back frames. I could screw the top frame into the other frames but it seems better to use biscuits and glue it on.

Thanks, Billy

Reply to
Billy Smith

Without seeing the plans, it can only be a guess, but maybe it's designed to allow for timber movement, hence the absence of glue.

Reply to
deadlock

I never glue my back in.. The purpose of the back is to prevent the cabinent from racking (in general).. use the recommend fasteners the plans say, and you'll be fine.

Since I don't know exactly what you are doing, I'm going to recommend you just follow the plans.. My guess is that where you screw the bottom in will not be seen. My second guess is that the solid wood top hides the top frame. There's nothing wrong with just using mechanical fasteners where appropriate. Everything doesn't have to be glued in. Heck, your house is being held together with fasteners and no glue. As the other poster said, sometimes using glue where you shouldn't causes wood movement problems later. When in doubt, I'd follow the plans to the letter and not risk ruining the project because you feel comfortable with extra glue.

Reply to
bf