how do I get the width I want without a planar?

Hi everyone...
I have a board that is an inch thick and I want to get the board to about half an inch thick. I don't have a planar. Is there a way to fix this problem without one? It's not reasonable to plane away half the width of a board anyway, right?
thanks
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) wrote in

Yep, that is how it is done. Now if you have a band saw you could cut the 1 inch board down to 3/4. This gives you enough to plane 1/8th off of each side to get a board that is 1/2. Then you have a piece that is about 3/16 wide to plane down to 1/8 for some veneer.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) wrote in

Yep, that is how it is done. Now if you have a band saw you could cut the 1 inch board down to 3/4. This gives you enough to plane 1/8th off of each side to get a board that is 1/2. Then you have a piece that is about 3/16 wide to plane down to 1/8 for some veneer.
How wide and long is the board? If not too wide you could resaw it on your tablesaw. If you want a workout you could resaw it by hand like they did in the old days. Or if you want a different workout you could plane it down. You could take it to a shop and have them plane it down. You could take it to a shop and have them resaw it on a bandsaw. You could go back where you bought the 1" thick board and buy a 1/2" thick board. You could redesign your plan so it needs a 1" thick board.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Ah10201" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Try the neighbors or local schools who might still have an IA program for the proper tools, which would be a planer.

it
you
Responding only to the subject line: The same way you do it with a planer -- you leave the planer turned off and rip your stock to width on the table saw. ;-)
--
Alex

But what if the stock is too narrow? Can you squeeze it to make it wider?

No. Then you use the planer to get the appropriate width/thickness, and build a scale model. <g>
--
Alex

half
How about using a hand plane? I have a shop full of tools and I still use a hand plane to thickness some boards.
Bob McBreen