How do I cut the ends on these fence rails?

Have you tried to rent a portable band saw?
I've seen them with cutting depths from 4 3/4 to 6".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote:
<snip>

http://allstarfencedeck.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/split_rail.190210453_std.jpg
I'd layout a chalk line for the taper, then grab my 9" right angle sander/grinder equipped with a 16 grit disk and have at it.
Works on fiberglass, wooden fence rails are a piece of cake.
Couple of minutes on each end and it's time for a beer.
Lew
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:42:42 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

I didn't know that fences drank. Interesting.
Well, if we're getting (Ar Ar Ar) POWERful here, I'd grab my 4-1/4" grinder with the Lancelot blade on it and carve 'em out with the little chainsaw it uses.
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

------------------------- A 4" right angle equipped with 24 grit disks are for detail work. Adds maybe 1 minute per surface.
I buy in 100 pc quantities.
4", 16 grit disks are available, but then you only get about 5-6 rocks per disk.
DAMHIKT.
Lew
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 21:26:33 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Yeah, I call that crap "boulder paper".

Grok that. _But_ you missed my reference to the Lancelot. www.katools.com
-- If we attend continually and promptly to the little that we can do, we shall ere long be surprised to find how little remains that we cannot do. -- Samuel Butler
Sounds like a perfect job for a reciprocating saw / saws-all / demolishion saw
Check them out at HD or Lowes or where ever
Matt
Flat Draw Knife. They cut and split faster than you think. Could pre-shape and finalize.
Martin
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

http://allstarfencedeck.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/split_rail.190210453_std.jpg
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 07:15:48 -0700 (PDT), the infamous

Neanderthals everywhere are looking at each other wondering why you haven't sat down at your shave horse with a drawknife and hacked those things out in minutes.
Normites are wondering why your bandsaw is going unused.
DO I make myself clear, soldier? Have at it!
P.S: I've seen machetes wielded well for this task, too.
-- Adults are obsolete children. --Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel, 1904-1991) --
Old timey guys (like me) sould use an adze and go slow.