How do I cut a 6" circle out?

I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.
I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get better with a jigsaw.

How about something like this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID582

Jigsaw circle cutting guild: (Amazon.com product link shortened)70039207/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-9754402-5051160?ie=UTF8&s=hi
6" holesaw: (Amazon.com product link shortened)70039024/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-9754402-5051160?ie=UTF8&s=hi
Router circle jig: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Router with trammel base. Easily made, plans all over the net.

A plunge router, an upcut siral bit, and a circle cutting jig.
--
Charley

"Toller" < snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
A little expensive but much faster to setup and use than router route... if you have a drill press.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidy9
Toller wrote:

Well, I have a drill press but not a plunge router, so that might be a solution. I am a bit concerned with just one cutter; seems like it would be unbalanced. That is not a problem?
Actually I have one like it with two cutters, but it will only do about 5". I could remove one cutter and move the arm over an inch. I thought being unbalanced would be a killer, but will try it. Thanks.

A single cutter works fine. I hope you have a full size drill press. Run it as slow as it will go. Clamp the workpiece securely (holding by hand is HIGHLY not recommended). Also, use a backer board so the pilot is solidly in something when the center piece is cut loose.

the
didn't
Any
get
Yeah, I've seen the two knife version but I've always used to one- sided jobs. Just run it at a slow speed and do a slow feed into the material. They work great in my opinion.

message

Aha! That's where the fly-cutters are hiding. They looked at me like I was crazy the last time I went looking for one at the hardware store.

If you have a drill press with an appropriate low speed, there are fly cutters available that can do this. Some of these things claim to be useable in hand drills and probably are, but I have doubts about how neat a hole it would be possible to cut in a hand-held drill.
http://www.holepro.com /
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 92919
http://www.generaltools.com/product.asp?action=prdupc&pridS&sectionid=2

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
You need a left handed circle cutting saw. Jus kidding. I use my bandsaw with it's circle cutting jig.
Jon

My suggestion is to stick with the jig saw. It's much quicker and you have one on hand. After the rough cut use a spindle sander to clean up to the lines. The bowls lips will cover up any small irregularities. Check out my efforts on a similar project in abpw 1 "Dog Dish Holder . Bill

I would like to see your dish holder, but can't get abpw. Can you email a photo to snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com? Thanks.

I would use a router and a straight cutting bit. It does not need to be a plunge router, a standard base router can be set into a drilled hole, or can be angled into a workpiece just fine. Use a base template that is equal to the radius and put a pin in the center of the "hole". I do this all of the time with everything from ceiling tiles to plywood when mounting speakers. Works like a top and is nothing but simple. Like everything else, these things can be over-complicated.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net