how do I cut a 6-1/4" hole (not circle)

how do you pin? and secure? how thick is reasonable? plunge or not? what size/type of bit?

I'm thinking of using 2-side carpet tape to secure to scrap; using a

1/4" straight bit (less material removal); cutting each piece separately (3/4" max); pinning with a screw or drill bit.

i have the PC 690 kit, with the plunge base. the plunge is so stiff and sticky i don't see how i can use it. i'll try to loosen it up and if not, i may just go with the fixed base and try to figure something out

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

Screw the material and jig to a waste piece, making the unthreaded shank of the screw the pivot point. Doublestick or tack the outside to keep from moving. Rather than make an entirely new router base, however, make a hole at the proper distance, sized for your collar and set your router in it to cut your hole.

Plunge easier, of course.

Reply to
George

Reply to
pat

aaaah.. slip on a collar to my existing baseplate and insert the collar into the jig.. guess the jig can just be any piece of 1/4" material. something about the size of the baseplate might be more stable, but i get the jist. now this is starting to sound "simple".

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

THANKS TO ALL!!!!

We have success.

I made a circle template using a 1/4" mdf/melamine scrap.

Into one end I drilled a 3/8" hole for the router bushing template (using a 1/4" straight bit). The "correct" distance away I drilled a

9/64th hole. The pin for that hole was a cut-off chunk of a framing nail-gun nail. I made pins of slightly less than 1/2", 1", and 1-1/4" (1/4" is taken up by the template I made).

Then I used 2-stick tape to hold the production piece down to a scrap

3/4" plywood piece. 3 strips of tape was sufficient - 1 to hold the center "circle" and 2 to hold the outside "hole piece".

For my 1/4" parts, 1 pass was enough. For the 3/4" parts, I had to take a couple passes on one side, then flip it over and take a final pass on the opposite side. My 1/4" bit was just shy of cutting through. Bummer.

Anyway, I was fortunate. I have a very tight fit between the 6" (6.25 OD) and the parts I made. So tight, in fact, that I doubt I'll glue nor screw them. It's just added flexibility should I want to change out the PVC parts.

So I got one complete. I plan to run a batch now, and when I do I'll post some pictures.

Great help here!

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

BINGO!

If you have cable, see if you can catch a couple of "Router Workshop" episodes.

Reply to
George