How do I cut a 4x4 post?

Page 3 of 3
On Mar 16, 1:02 pm, -...@-.com wrote:

Handsaw, chainsaw, or a Prazi-beam cutter attachment for a circular saw. Or you can use the method one of my neighbors uses--find a neighbor to do it for you.
If you chose a handsaw try to find an antique Disston crosscut saw with maybe 8 points and sharpen it yourself. Joint it first and set it after if it needs it, often they do not. Most off-the shelf handsaws are not really sharp, set too coarse, and with teeth that are two fine. A 4 point ripsaw will crosscut quickly too, but leave a rougher kerf.
--
FF

with a 50 pound blade and a hundred foot drop. How about a large lathe, steady rest and a part off tool? There is all kinds of ways to overcomplicate this if you think about it long enough.

It is hard to get simpler than a handsaw.
--
FF

CW wrote:

Using a sharp handsaw isn't "overcomplicating"--it used to be that sharpening one's saw was just part of daily life--my father sharpened his saws regularly and he wasn't even a carpenter by trade, he was a sailor. The trouble is that modern Western-pattern saws are either very expensive or not very good and finding an old Disston in decent shape may be difficult. A 40 buck ryoba with a throw-away blade works remarkably well and is readily accessible.
--John

Stanley handsaw and can do pretty good work with it. For cutting the 4x4 though, it wouldn't be my first choice. Circular saw and speed square would be it.
CW wrote: <snip>

Screw you very much. <plonk>
--John
CW wrote:

I'd use a 'camp' saw (small bow saw). Th blade is long enough (and straight) to get a good line up on the cutting line.
The OP could take some off each end and use the best end up.
Bill (who has other ways to cut a 4by that apparently the OP does not.)
is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make

That would be awesome. Though it would probably shatter my post not cut it. :(
Ok, don't want to knock anyone for any more suggestions, but I think I got enough to try we can let the thread die now :)