How did you come to be in woodworking?

I like that idea. Maybe rig something like they use for drafting tables.

I'll file that statement away for future reference, Lar. :-)

Hmmm ... I don't remember seeing that, but that's what I was thinking about doing as well. I just have to verify that my dogholes are spaced uniformly enough to work. :-)

Ayup. But it might be overkill for me. I do a carving project about every third or fourth one. Wait a sec ... that means I would use it even more than you, Lar.

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) Heh. :-)

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

On 25 Jan 2004 11:37:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

Of that I have absolutely no doubt. ;)

So much for my memory. June 2000, on page 18 of FWW was a _shoulder_ vise.

You might have to switch to 1/2" dowels, eh? That's whatcha get for using jummyjunk, erm, pineywood, son.

Pffffft!

  • Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
  • shall never cease to be amused *
Larry Jaques

I like making useful stuff. I especially like making useful things from other peoples' castoffs.

A goal I have is to be able to prototype anything I can think of (hopefully for profit .) I bought a tap and die set to put an aftermarket fence on my contractor saw and the metalworking bug bit me. Today I found affordable welding classes in my area. ;-)

Plastics and ceramics are sure to follow. I alreadly know quite a bit about TTL and LRC circuits.

"From Ideas To Devices!"

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Er, no ... the reason I'm uncertain about the spacing being dead-on enough for mounting a carving bench that way is because I was fairly casual in laying out the holes. One slow day after I finished the bench I just decided to add some on. I took a long ruler/straight-edge and went to work. Grabbed my crispy MF Holdall brace and a 3/4" ship's auger and had 'em done in about 30 minutes. (The bit was almost smoking hot to the touch. :-) So they might be off by 1/16" here or there. Not a big deal for how I use the dogholes on a daily basis, but too much for attaching a carving benchlet.

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

How did I come to be in woodworking?

I took a left at rc airplane hobby, pitted after the rc car hobby, and arrived here at a hobby my wife actually LIKES me to spend money on (I trade furniture for tools).

Reply to
Jim