How did you come to be in woodworking?

25+ years in software... Some days I'd give anything for a cave and a fire.

This man's my new hero: Ned Ludd born c.1790

Born in Anstey, he lent his name to the legendary General Ned Ludd and the Luddite movement which was partly inspired by the French Revolution and the writings of Thomas Paine. For a time the Luddites enjoyed great power through sabotage and machine breaking across the country. There was, however, little bloodshed and they seemed to enjoy popular support. Their cause was acceptable working conditions and the restoration of reasonable compensation for loss of work. The movement ended when over a thousand Luddites attacked a mill in Lancashire in April 1812 and were repulsed by troops. Little is known about Ned, though his name carried the weight of armies.

Reply to
mttt

Fewer cave bears and saber tooth tigers too, fortunately.

Reply to
Silvan

But I MISS the taste of bear, that's what the big mallets are for. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

On the wrong day a cabinet saw or a shaper could be either of those animals!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

A few years ago I spent a summer at Denali Park in Alaska. The grizzly bears I saw, luckily from far, far away, probably miss the taste of you!

I swear some of those things are 12 feet tall.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Hey, I'm crazy not stupid, I try to fight in my own weight class. That's why God made black bears, burger size. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

Granted, but at least they don't poop.

Reply to
Silvan

What's your story?

Growing up my family had a picnic table that my grandfather built. It was made of cedar and treated with that red "stain". Don't remember what the stain was called. Anyway, the table was about 20 years old when I was 12 and one of the supports for the legs fell off, rotted. I called Mom at work and asked her to bring home a piece of wood so I could fix Grandpa's table. Over the next few years more pieces were found rotten and replaced. Finally, as with all things, it had to go. When I was 21 I built Mom a new picnic table. I did save one piece of Grandpa's table to use in the new one. Grandpa's table lasted 29 years. Mine has been sitting under Mom's tree for 13 now. Hope mine lasts like Grandpa's.

Now I enjoy woodworking with my sons. Joshua, 5 and Adam, 3. This spring we are tearing down the old playhouse from the previous owners of our house and building a new 2 building, 2 level fortress complete with rock wall, slide, rope swing, bridge, and a nice water canon feature for those really hot days.

But mostly I, like others, will not pay others to do something I can do myself.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

My story begins the same. My grandfather was a cabinet maker and my father worked in his shop all through high school and college. My grandfather died at an age of 62 from lung cancer and my father kept most of his old equipment. Dad went to college and became a math teacher but always stayed in cabinet building, whether it was for family or the church, etc, never really for profit though. I started getting into it shortly after high school and have been learning from him ever since. Now all the equipment is in a shop that I built because there's more room and it's heated. A couple of month's ago I started a custom cabinet building business as a part-time job and it's keeping me busy as I want to be at it. So far it's been dressers, vanities and entertainment centers but now I have my first order for a complete kitchen.

Reply to
Mark

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:15:27 -0500, Silvan brought forth from the murky depths:

Perhaps not, but YOU DO when they turn on you and show their teeth.

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sounds like most of us had pretty similar starts into our addiction.

My grandfather owned a truck stop. Not the new-fangled, Flying J type, but the old school, classic road house type. By default, my father ended up working there, since he had always hung out there as a child and that's just what you did back then...help out with the family business when your old enough to do so. Changing split ring truck tires, being a diesel mechanic, welding, and all other things associated with keeping a truck stop in business is what kept my father occupied for most of his early life. To say that he was (is) mechanically inclined would be an understatement. He went on to be a towboat chief engineer and is now, on the threshold of retirement, working as an engineering rep for a petro-chem shipping company.

Woodworking is a bit different than metalworking, even given their similarities. Dad made things and did repairs around the house out of necessity. Pride and a lack of money kept him from hiring a carpenter, plumber, electrician, etc. At work, Dad had access to all the proper tools needed and they were mostly of the best quality. At home, however, the tool selection was scanty and of the lowest quality (cheapest) that could be had at the time. Our projects were pretty rough, given the lack of always having the proper tool for the job, but I didn't know any better as a child. I was just thrilled to be hanging out and "helping" Dad with his list of honey-dos.

I picked up the beginnings of my mechanical and woodworking ability by wanting to be like Dad. It wasn't long before I was tearing apart and rebuilding the lawnmower (not that it needed it), building pretty elaborate tree forts out of scrap lumber, and tinkering with just about anything that could be tinkered. I know now how valuable it was to learn how to "make do" with what I had available tool and material wise. It taught me to think, improvise, and do the best I could with what I had. I'm actually amazed at some of the things I was able to accomplish.

As a teen, I worked as a fiberglass fabricator and learned more about power tools. I had access to various quality tools; including a RAS, table saw, bandsaw, and pneumatic tools, which were new to me. After work and on off days, I was able to experiment and build as I pleased. That is how I learned...either OJT or trial and error. Respect for equipment and attention to detail were picked up during this phase and applied to other facets of life as well. Time spent in that shop groomed ideals that I still follow today.

Since then, I've done just about everything from rough remodeling work to building some nice furniture. I now support my income and tool acquisitions habit with carpentry work and a little furniture building from time to time. Plus, I can't imagine anything more therapeutic than the smells and sounds of woodworking. OK...maybe a grill, hammock, and margarita, but not much else!

C Ya, Mikey

Reply to
Mikey Darden

Greetings and salutations. I came to it through the painful necessity of living in a 50 year old house, owned by a university professor (my father). Since there was not much cash to spare, we did a lot of rebuilding on our own, so my carpentry skills got built up pretty quickly. I am also, by nature, a problem solver and "fixer", so, repairing furniture and building stuff to make life easier was a natural step. Now, I do it to stay saner after having to wrestle with the complexities of keeping computer systems and networks up, and, creating web pages and such. Shop time is good time. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Dad was a general contractor, and from an early age I was with him to many of his jobsites, and when in my teens I worked full time in the summers.

Also took all the middle and high school shop classes - mechanical drawing, metal shop and wood shop.

First year of marriage, SWMBO bought me a RAS for Christmas. Still using it today after 33 years.

Added a bedroom and two bath addition on to our first house doing all the work ourselves. Later on, we built a 3000 square foot tri-level home. I also built some of our furniture along the way.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

High school shop class. I got strait "As" If I had got the the same in math, I might have become a nuclura scientist.

Reply to
Perfer no to say

not to mention spelling...

Reply to
mel

found that, Lar.

As for the original question: Started off innocently enough by wanting to re-finish/restore an old china display cabinet that came from my grandmother's farmhouse. By the time I got down to the bare wood (it looked like they decided it was easier to just slap a new coat of paint on the thing rather than cleaning it whenever it got dirty), I had started to accumulate various tools. Also, by the time I got down to bare wood, I realized that I was better off building it from scratch than trying to restore it.

So I started off by buying a few basic handtools and a routah. Then I started building boxes. Then I branched out to making other household stuff (headboard, artists easel, etc.). Finally I got the Neander disease. Tools began showing up in my mailbox and on my front porch. Saws, planes, braces, more planes, some more saws, even more planes, spokeshaves, a drawknife or two.

As I accumulated tools, it only seemed appropriate that I learn how to use them by making things. So it was a highboy, a shoji screen, a workbench, an entry table, some bowls, some carving, etc.

And it's been all downhill from there ... on rollerskates ... with a jetpack on my back ...

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

On 23 Jan 2004 06:36:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

Worry not. One of the wreck.metalheads posted something about it.

That's precisely why I just painted this kitchen. The LVT antique pewter birdcage hardware (which was destined for fun in the shop) looks nice, BTW. Now I have to order more to finish up.

Yeah, I know that feeling well. Bent crowbars, empty wallets, the whole schmear. But I got sidetracked into just collecting tools, no longer doing any woodworking. Whadda maroon! As I accumulated tools, it only seemed appropriate that I learn how

Cool.

JATO-assisted wooddorking at its finest!

------------------------------------------------------ No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat. ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development ---------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I got into woodworking via marriage. My wife, though I haven't been able to document it, must've been related to Sarah Winchester, the sole heir to the Winchester Arms fortune.

That needs some explaning for the rest of this to make sense. Sarah was a superstitious lady who was convinced that the souls of all the people killed by the Winchester rifles were out to get her. A psychic told her that as long as she kept building onto her house they'd never find her. And that's what she did. Must've been a contractor's nightmare because she had them build stairs that end at the ceiling, closets that are 3 inches deep, beautiful stain glass windows with another wall a foot from their outside faces, columns installed upside down and a third floor door that opens into a light well.

If you ever get to San Jose, CA go see The Winchester Mystery House, just for the woodwork - lots of nice stuff.

So back to the woodworking topic. Wifey, apparent heir to Sarah, was also an Interior Designer (not decorator) After purchasing our first house my woodworking (and plumbing, electrical, stucco etc.) avocation began.

"Let's move the kitchen over there and make this room into a dining room. And see that window, make it a large sliding door. And that door, make it a window and put the sink in front of it. And since you're moving the kitchen over there, take that washer and drier and put them over here, behind the wall you're going to build. Oh and there should be louvered bifolding doors to hide them. Now this wall between the new dining room and the living room - open that up for six foot bifolding doors as well. And when you're done with that how about converting what's left of the one car attached garage into my spinning and weaving room?

Note that bearing walls, iron vent pipes, copper pipes and wiring are never a consideration in any Interior Design class. "Just cut a big hole, trim it out and put in the doors/cabinets/windows etc.."

And that's how I got my first power tools - a good Sears drill and a Skil worm drive circular saw. They came in handy when I got to convert half of a four car detached garage to a jewelry shop. Water, gas electricity, sewer line, insulated walls and ceiling and painted sheet rock - with carpeting of course.

Many years later, and another wife and a few "significant others", I got the entire four car garage to play/work in. Conveniently, I also FOUND NORM and was reborn!

Not long after that I found this group and what a blessing that was. There was a whole world beyond Norm and the later discovered Roy. Krenov and Nakashima and Maloof, Stickley and Morris and tools that didn't require electricity. DeCristaforo and all those joints, shellac!

And that's how I got on the slippery slope.

charlie b

ps - I think guys are either genetically programmed or are trained to solve rather than just describe problems. Woodworking fills a basic need for males - an infinite number of problems to solve - forever.

Reply to
charlie b

Any info you care the share about your carving bench? I was thinking about making a portable carving bench *top* that I could put on my regular workbench when I want to carve. I was thinking this would get the work up a bit higher (a good thing both for my eyes and my back), and it would be a better solution than having a dedicated carving bench. (Space-wise, at least.)

*meeep* *meep* *whooooosh*

Chuck Vance

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

On 24 Jan 2004 09:48:57 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@swt.edu (Conan the Librarian) brought forth from the murky depths:

24x40" 6/4 Jarrah top & 1x6 rails.

Popular (however the rec.norm spelling goes) 2x2 legs.

Tilting top, bench pups, staggered (6") 3/4" holes. I'll work out the tilt mechanism when I get there and have had a chance to see how much sturdiness I need.

I have an idea for a removable sandbox weight and will show that to you once it's done. I figure if I make it easy to remove/install, the bench will be easier to move out of the way of my wood stack when necessary.

I've wanted to do some relief carving for a long while and will finally start this year. (Promise!) My best inspiration was the Mt. Fuji scene over the fireplace in the Gamble House. The side scenes were nice, too.

I kinda liked that doghole mounted carving vise in one of the mags last year (2?), I think FWW. And I really liked that carving bench in Landis' "Workbench Book", kwim,v?

  • Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
  • laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
  • shall never cease to be amused *
Larry Jaques