How deep can the Freud SD608 cut?

Ran into a cut the other night that my 7" dado wouldn't quite make--takes multiple passes making it inconvenient to do on the router table and need to do too many of them to be willing to finish by hand if there's an alternative. Figured it was time for an 8" dado.

The only one I could find in stock on a Sunday was the Sears Excalibur Elite, which has a hub on it that is so large that it won't cut quite as deep as the 7" that it would be replacing--not quite 1-1/2" for either, but the Sears won't bottom the cut in the fence made by the 7", that was limited by the motor diameter. The SD608 looks like it also has a large hub, but not quite so large as the Excalibur Elite, but I can't find any information on the max depth of cut anywhere and was hoping that someone who has one could tell me this.

If not then it's off to Tools Plus tomorrow to eyeball one--I'd really rather save the drive if I could.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Just curious - when you say your 7" dado wont make - you mean its not deep enough? a 7" blade sits at least 2" above the saw table - what are you makeing that you need a 2"+ dado?? Again - just curious - there may be another way to acheive what you are trying to do.

Reply to
Rob V

I'm using a radial arm saw--it can cut a little under 1-1/2" deep with a 7" dado before the motor hits the stock--I believe I mentioned that below.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If the motor is your limiting factor, why are you concerned about the size of the hub?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Because the hub is 'bigger' than the motor?

Reply to
Mark

I explained that in my original post, quoted below, to which I will refer you.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Precisely--actually that's the question I'm trying to get answered without driving an hour and half each way to the nearest place that has one in stock.

Reply to
J. Clarke

My Ridge Carbide 8" will go to 2 3/16" on my tablesaw. If the motor is hitting, the blade will only give you a half inch more than what you have. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Maybe you could also consider the Freud SD508 which is a "normal" stacked dado set and does not have the large hub that the SD608 has. Of course, you would also be back to using shims. . .

Wayne

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

Checked out my Freud SD608 out of curiousity. Turns out it is actually

8 1/8" in diameter. Allow for the 5/8" arbor hole and we have 7 1/2" left. Divide that in two and we should have 3 3/4" of potential depth. But of course the practical matter is much less than that due to the previous issues raised. I think you must be considering the newer "Dial

-A-Width" blade, as the orig> Ran into a cut the other night that my 7" dado wouldn't quite make--takes

Reply to
DIYGUY

Headed off to look at the SD608, on the way said to Hell with it and got the Forrest instead--and in the two hours that it would have taken to drive to the store that had the SD608, figure out if it would do what I needed, and drive back I got the cuts done.

Now, if I can just find the effing screw from of the Sears that I dropped in the sawdust so I can return it . . . Gotta get a bigger magnet.

Reply to
J. Clarke