How deep a tenon?

If you were me, how deep would you make the tenon on that four-inch base?
https://www.etsy.com/listing/261064489/used-harrisville-adjustable-weaving
Mike
On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 16:14:40 -0700 (PDT), Michael

.. if I were me - and if me was a 240 lb. weaver .. I'd make the tenon about 10 inches - so I could anchor it into the floor. :-)
I'm curious about the design of the seat - - is it based on a traditional one ? - is the adjustability important for a given weaver ? or is that for marketing to different people at different looms ? John T.
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 7:44:00 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wro te:

?

ng

John,
I don't know if it's traditional but the manufacturer is well known in the business. The ability to adjust the height is for a number of different peo ple using different looms. The strength of that joint troubles me as well. I wish I had gone 5/4 rather than 4/4 on the hard maple. The thickness is 7 /8 after running the pieces through the thickness planer.
Mike
On 9/26/2016 6:14 PM, Michael wrote:

You have some latitude, depending upon width, but personally I'd go for around 2 1/2 -3", with a wide tenon.
Even a tad shorter, and, IME and done properly, they'll have more racking strength than you might think.
Here's a similar application on a trestle table I built, and, as you can see, they're not all that long, roughly 2 1/2" ... over ten years of heavy use and moving around (the top weighs in at 106 lbs) with no structural problem whatsoever:
https://goo.gl/photos/yPXkSCyRCUEbG3FF8
YMMV ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 7:45:55 AM UTC-5, Swingman wrote:

Thanks, Swingman. I'm wondering if the thought applies that the glue bond is stronger than the wood, as in some other cases.
That's some beautiful work, by the way.
Mike