How dangerous are lathes?

There are all kinds of anti-static sprays you can buy, or you can just use an anti-static dryer sheet, although it probably won't last nearly as long as some of the products specifically intended for eliminating static cling.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Think he's talking about the standard 1/2 MV sq inelastic collision accomplishing some heavy deceleration. Since we're pretty much confined to earth with our turnings, the M is going to be equal to weight, and it's part of that equation.

Rather not have a shield. Cuts down on the number of random directions a piece might take on the ricochet. Just stand out of the zone and let 'er fly if she cares, though with a modicum of effort no reason it should.

Most machine injuries I've seen contained some element of pursuit of the piece rather than letting it fly where it would predictably go and the injured should not be. Buck twenty nine worth of walnut becomes a 1500 dollar ambulance ride and that's only the beginning.

Reply to
George

Your physics is certainly correct; gravity only has a split second to act on the object, so imparts very little velocity on it. (mv=ft and all that...) Yet intuitively it seems that things should tend to fall down rather than up. Yes, I know intuition is wrong half the time, but still...

It has been a very very long time since I did any of this. f from the rotation is proportionate to the m of the object in question, so the mass doesn't matter there either.

Reply to
Toller

RainX ?

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Not at all - the velocity of _freely_ falling objects is independent of mass, but lathe turnings aren't usually freely falling -- they're spinning objects in passing contact with some fixed point that can impart a force to them. If they're balanced and they fall free from the chuck then it's no problem - if they catch on the way down, it can get hairy.

(PS Toller - if you're going to post trivial equations, at least get a schoolkid to check them first)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What do you mean, "not at all"? That was demonstrated by Galileo about five hundred years ago.

They are the moment they come loose from the lathe, which is the issue at hand. As long as they stay attached, they are not falling objects, and therefore not relevant to the discussion.

Yes, and that's one of the points I was making -- the force imparted to them by the lathe is, in most circumstances, of greater magnitude than that imparted by gravity.

If balanced, sure -- but what if something *breaks*? Then, it's no longer balanced -- and the direction that broken-off piece moves depends on the direction it was moving when it came free, and has *nothing* to do with its mass.

Also note that a perfectly balanced lightweight piece that simply comes loose will drop straight down, too, just like a perfectly balanced heavy one that simply comes loose.

The behavior of falling objects in a gravity field is completely independent of their mass (except to the extent that objects with very low *density* will fall more slowly due to aerodynamic effects). In vacuum, a feather and a stone fall at the same rate -- and even in air, there is no difference discenible without the use of laboratory equipment between the velocity of falling stones of, say, 1 kg and 10 kg, when dropped from the same height.

Whether a chunk of wood that comes loose from a lathe goes up, down, or sideways has NOTHING to do with its mass.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'll grant you this one, as I managed to whack myself square in the forehead with a blank earlier this evening. Didn't fly straight off, though- it rolled up the tool, up my arm, and then popped up when I reflexively yanked back and straightened my arm. Didn't feel nice... but it was an eloquent rebuttal to what I wrote above!

Reply to
Prometheus

Yep. I've got a bruise on the noggin that says you're right. Previous experiences with the chuck letting go were mostly right after mounting, and didn't involve a cutting tool.

Reply to
Prometheus