how'd they do that -> puzzle boxes

On a recent trip to Mexico I saw some neat puzzle boxes. They were seemingly simlar to this one in terms of the number of cuts and functionality:
http://www.cleverwood.com/burlpuzzlebox_g.htm
Could somebody talk me through the process of making this? I don't understand how the first piece was cut out (the piece at the far right of the bottom picture), as the cut doesn't appear to go all the way through to the bottom of the box. Ditto the piece on the far left. I'm assuming that all 4 pieces were made from a single piece of wood and that they didn't just saw the bottom off, make the cuts, and glue it back on ( I don't see any marks) but maybe I'm wrong.
Thanks, Shawn
Wed, Jan 12, 2005, 2:29pm (EST+1) snipped-for-privacy@glassgiant.com (ShawnWilson) ponders: <snip> just saw the bottom off, make the cuts, and glue it back on ( I don't see any marks) but maybe I'm wrong.
You're wrong.
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie
http://www.gtcreations.com/appleseed /

Dang. I was hoping there was some exotic tool or technique or something. That takes the magic out of it. But at least now I know I'm theoretically capable of making one.
Also, on the site that I mentioned before there's a bunch of other types of boxes with locks (you have to spin the box or knock on it or wave a magnet at the right spot to unlock) Anyone have a website that explains how they work? I can picture some of it in theory, but I'm light on practical (keeping mechanisms from sticking as wood expands, etc.)...
Thanks, Shawn
--
Shawn Wilson
snipped-for-privacy@glassgiant.com