How come nobody's ever manufactured a "skew planer"?

Yes, it's already been invented:

to me such a contraption could address a number of issues with regard to planing... Even spiffier would be if the entire planing head could pivot so you could control the amount and direction of skew.

Reply to
Steve Turner

That's basically what the helical knives do...

One (out of many)...

I have seen some with solid curved knives years ago but afaik they've gone the way of the dodo bird--they're nearly impossible to mount evenly and are _very_ expensive to fabricate...

--

Reply to
dpb

Yeah, I've never used a planer with a spiral cutter head, but I can see how they would do a much better job of managing tear-out, which is one of the things I'd imagined a skewed cutter head would excel at. Do the spiral cutter heads do anything at all to alleviate snipe? That's another problem that I'd think a skewed cutter would help to solve.

Of course, having a skewed cutter begs the question of how you combine that with feed rollers that keep the board moving in a straight line, especially with my thought of being able to vary the angle of the cutter head...

Reply to
Steve Turner

On 1/6/2012 4:17 PM, Steve Turner wrote: ...

Cutterhead itself has nothing really to do with snipe...that's a problem of the feed rollers set improperly or too much clearance on a bottom roller for planers that have them.

Shouldn't really matter that much...

I should mention one can achieve the effect simply by feeding a board at an angle--with all the planers I've used (and I will admit I've never used one of the newer lunchbox or portables or open-frame of modern popularity, I have now an old Rockwell/Delta Model 13 and have had PM

180s/240s and Delta 18 industrial machines in the past exclusively[+]) they don't really care; the material runs through driven by the feed rollers past the knives and they really don't affect it's path much at all. I can imagine in the lighter-weight machines that _might_ not be true; somebody w/ experience with them can comment on that. [+] And I've been kicking myself ever since I didn't keep the 180 when moved back to the farm--thought I'd find the 13 enough. (It is, except when it would be really really nice to have the extra width for glued up panels, etc., since there's nobody locally w/ a large thickness/finishing sander that had access to and got used to before I wasn't clearly thinking about at the time was paring down...)

--

Reply to
dpb

Or not having support on the exit table is another favorite, of course...

--

Reply to
dpb