How can I make my DC Collector lid air tight.

Hi all

I will have a collector in my duct line when finished. It is a 33 Gal garbage can with a plastic lid on it with the hoses passing in and out.

I've been told to put Vaseline on the can, then put a sealer type soft putty on the lid. Then set the lid down on the can. The Vaseline will keep it from sticking.

I'm not sure about that. How would you do it?

Jack My e-mail address is real. Feel free to use it. I know how to delete spam.

Reply to
Jack Forbes

silicone bead on the garbage can lip. let it dry. make a nice soft seal. Weight on the lid helps too.

Reply to
Jones

I used the same type of can and lid but used self stick weather seal (3/8) around the inside edges of the lid. It works great and because it makes the lid tight very little dust escapes the edges.

Reply to
Dan Topham

I used some strips of foam weather stripping . The kind that has a adhesive already applies to one side of it. The foam comes in several sizes and I used one of the larger sizes that would make the lid fit tightly on the garbage can by applying it to the lid. I applied it to the inside edge of the plastic lid to make the lid fit tightly over the edges of the garbage can and to the flat surface of the plastic lid that comes in contact with the top rim of the can. I used different thickness of the weather stripping on the sides of the plastic lid than what is used on the top of the plastic lid. The top has a thin layer on it and the sides have a thicker layer on it so that the plastic lid slipps snugly over the top rim of the gargage can. By applying it in both places you can force the plastic lid to fit snugly on top of the can. If it is snug (not tight) it will give you a good tight seal and the plastic lid can be removed with out any trouble to empty the gargage can. In use, the reduced preasure inside the garbage can will pull the plastic lid down tightly onto the foam gasket you have created by sticking the weather stripping to the top of the plastic lid. The foam has good durability. I have been using this arrangement for about two years now without any detectable wear to the foam. I am unable to detect any leaks around the top edge of the plastic lid after the weather stripping was applied.

"Jack Forbes" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Joe Nation

Plain old foam weatherstripping.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

How would dust "escape" a container under vacuum?

The key here is to prevent air from leaking _in_, not out. I test for vacuum leaks with talc. Turn on the suction, sprinkle talc all around the seal, shut it off and look for talc inside the seal.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I use a spray bottle with water to test mine. I found foam weather striping sucked water right through it.

Reply to
BillWalters

Look for 'closed cell' foam instead of 'open cell' foam. It's mentioned in the fine print on the packaging on some of the currently produced weather-strip.

Try to apply adhesive backed foam strip so that some part of the lid or trash can top supports it when the suction is turned on and 14 psi atmospheric pressure tries to push the seal into the can. For example, if it is a home-made wood or mdf lid, the foam could be installed in a groove or rabbet routed in the lid at the same radius as the top edge of the trash can. Ideally applied, so that the suction force on the lid tends to squeeze and hold the seal in place, I would be surprised if even ordinary open cell foam allows significant leakage.

On my recently completed pre-filter can I used a strip of the hollow rubber weatherseal in a routed rabbet in a wood lid, the nailing lip of the seal strip being stapeled around the outside edge of the rabbet and a bit of silicone caulk applied to the butt joint where the ends of the seal strip meet. Seems to make a nice, secure fit to the metal can but I haven't actually verified its performance yet (shop still under construction).

David Merrill

Reply to
David Merrill

I used the self-stick foam weatherstripping and it works great. Test for leaks using a burning stick of incense.

Reply to
Phisherman

Try the soft, sticky, more rubbery foam. This stuff is more like an automotive weather seal than foam packing material. The latter is cheaper, the former is much better.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

You may discover that a small inner tube for a bike will stretch very nicely around the top of the trash can.... simply cut the plug out and sttetch it around the top of the can...it will seal like a champ when you put the plastic lid on the can... My children are all grown BUT I still found a few old tubes for

19-20 inch bikes in the shop...they work great...I also use one on the DC itself to seal the bags...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.