How big of a jointer do you need?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%79938883
I don't get it, to be honest. What on earth would you use such a monstrosity for? Jointing an entire tabletop at once? But how would you thickness plane it afterwards?
I don't think I care to even guess how much that weighs. Nor how he lost or broke it.
--randy
: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%79938883
: I don't get it, to be honest. What on earth would you use such a : monstrosity for? Jointing an entire tabletop at once? But how would you : thickness plane it afterwards?
: I don't think I care to even guess how much that weighs. Nor how he lost or : broke it.
Hard thing to lose!
The other odd thing about this machine is it looks lik the outfeed table is about half the length of the infeed table. Seems like it should be the other way round.
    -- Andy Barss

jointer wasn't enough. If I had that I might never face that problem again. Then again it would fill up most of my shop so I couldn't do anything...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

You should see the planer the seller is keeping...<g>
--
Kenneth

That's *OBVIOUS* flattening Home Depot plywood sheets.
<badly muffled guffaw>

*NO* problem. My _high-school_ shop had a 24" planer. At the 'technical high school' the 'furniture factory' wood-shop had a 36" throat triple-drum sander. Somewhere around 50HP, I'm guessing. I _saw_ it drawing 70+ amps (not working hard) at 480V -- the operator panel had ammeters for each of the 4 main motors: drum 1, drum 2, drum 3, and the feeder. The height- adjustment motor didn't rate its own meter.
The machine "near" that sander was an industrial-strength dovetail machine. It would dovetail an entire TEN FOOT length of stock in a single operation, with all the tails cut _simultaneously_. Had something like 100 cutter heads. *SCARY* machine.
R -
I think someone already posted this, and apparently, beasties such as this were used to joint framing timbers for wooden ships prior to planing. So, yes, if you had a 30' beam 14" wide, this woul just be the ticket. Don't ask me how you'd move that timber. I'm thinking it would take more than a Grizzly 1/2 stock feeder....
John

But wouldn't all that iron be better arranged as 16 or 18" wide instead of 30", and 180" long instead of 90"? Keeping a 30' beam balanced on 7.5' table doesn't seem trivial, let alone *moving* it.
Let's just pray there's no kickback.
--randy
You always need a jointer that is 1" wider than the jointer you have!