How big is your cabinet saw blade ?

Spent this evening ripping stock for sword scabbards (saya). Allowing for the curve in the sword blade needs a fairly deep rip and as I wanted perfect surfaces I wasn't keen on doing the turn-over trick.
I managed to do it on my 10" cabinet saw, but only by borrowing a a 12" blade to put in there (as my Wadkin 10AGS is basically the same as the 12AGS, this is a recognised technique). This set me thinking - what size saw blade do people run in their saws? Am I right, even the vaunted Unisaw is still only a 10" ?
How do other people handle deep rips ?
--
If we fail, then let us fail heroically
(or even better, stoichiometrically)

I use my 18" band saw and then run the board over the 8" jointer.
RE blade size, my Jet cabinet saw has a metal dust guard and Biesemeyer T-splitter that would preclude mounting a blade larger than 10".
John
Andy Dingley wrote:

Deep rips? How's 'bout using a bandsaw??
David

I've got a 3HP motor in the cabinet saw, but only a tired hamster in the bandsaw. I also get better finish from the circular.
Good idea though. maybe I should accelerate the 18" bandsaw plan...
--
Smert' spamionam

Andy,
I am happy with my 12" Forrester blade in the green monster (G5959Z). In many cases I am using it as an alternative for bandsaw, jointer, and planer.
+++ Ollie

I only have a contractor's saw so I use a 10" blade. Recently I've seen several used 14" and 18" cabinet saws in my area. The 14" saw went for $150! I don't think the larger saws are very popular as 10" is enough for most people.

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 02:24:33 +0100, Andy Dingley
......and in reply I say!:
Well I got a 30" bladed PTO-driven saw....

***************************************************** the snappy ones are the best
Aside from the depth of cut are there advantages to a larger bleade? given the same arbor speed the teeth would hit the wood somewhat faster, how much I don't know, enough to matter I don't know.
I need to buy a dado set for my table saw and my saw has a 1"arbor. I want to find a used set to save a few bucks. most of the ones I see are 10" or 12" sets. My saw has a three horse motor. dose anyone see a problem with buying a large dado set?
Thanks russ
No advantage in my mind. No problem either, just might cost a lot and be more capacity than you need. I use an 8" Forrest on my 10" saw, 3HP. Would not need anything larger, since I rarely do anything deeper then 1 inch.
Forrest will bore the hole to 1" on the 8" set..not sure what the cost is vs buyig a 1" with 10" diamiter.
I guess it all depends on what you need.

Hey! Where are you in WA, man? Big state, not many people!

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Finding a 1" dado set used is gonna be a looong time in waiting...
Freud sells their 10" dado set with 1" arbor for "around" $130 and it's a very nice dado that will last a life time or two...
russ wrote:

But clean cuts it does not do.... ***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.

Indeed.
Bandsaw. But the tallest stock I can rip is a measly 14.5" SH