How big is your cabinet saw blade ?

Spent this evening ripping stock for sword scabbards (saya). Allowing for the curve in the sword blade needs a fairly deep rip and as I wanted perfect surfaces I wasn't keen on doing the turn-over trick.

I managed to do it on my 10" cabinet saw, but only by borrowing a a

12" blade to put in there (as my Wadkin 10AGS is basically the same as the 12AGS, this is a recognised technique). This set me thinking - what size saw blade do people run in their saws? Am I right, even the vaunted Unisaw is still only a 10" ?

How do other people handle deep rips ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I use my 18" band saw and then run the board over the 8" jointer.

RE blade size, my Jet cabinet saw has a metal dust guard and Biesemeyer T-splitter that would preclude mounting a blade larger than 10".

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Deep rips? How's 'bout using a bandsaw??

David

Reply to
David

Andy,

I am happy with my 12" Forrester blade in the green monster (G5959Z). In many cases I am using it as an alternative for bandsaw, jointer, and planer.

Reply to
Ollie

I only have a contractor's saw so I use a 10" blade. Recently I've seen several used 14" and 18" cabinet saws in my area. The 14" saw went for $150! I don't think the larger saws are very popular as 10" is enough for most people.

Reply to
AL

I've got a 3HP motor in the cabinet saw, but only a tired hamster in the bandsaw. I also get better finish from the circular.

Good idea though. maybe I should accelerate the 18" bandsaw plan...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 02:24:33 +0100, Andy Dingley vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Well I got a 30" bladed PTO-driven saw....

***************************************************** the snappy ones are the best
Reply to
Old Nick

Aside from the depth of cut are there advantages to a larger bleade? given the same arbor speed the teeth would hit the wood somewhat faster, how much I don't know, enough to matter I don't know.

I need to buy a dado set for my table saw and my saw has a 1"arbor. I want to find a used set to save a few bucks. most of the ones I see are 10" or 12" sets. My saw has a three horse motor. dose anyone see a problem with buying a large dado set?

Thanks russ

Reply to
russ

No advantage in my mind. No problem either, just might cost a lot and be more capacity than you need. I use an 8" Forrest on my 10" saw, 3HP. Would not need anything larger, since I rarely do anything deeper then 1 inch.

Forrest will bore the hole to 1" on the 8" set..not sure what the cost is vs buyig a 1" with 10" diamiter.

I guess it all depends on what you need.

Reply to
Dave in WA

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 08:09:13 +0800, Old Nick vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

But clean cuts it does not do....

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:51:24 GMT, "Dave in WA" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Hey! Where are you in WA, man? Big state, not many people!

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Reply to
Old Nick

Finding a 1" dado set used is gonna be a looong time in waiting...

Freud sells their 10" dado set with 1" arbor for "around" $130 and it's a very nice dado that will last a life time or two...

russ wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Indeed.

Bandsaw. But the tallest stock I can rip is a measly 14.5" SH

Reply to
Slowhand