how best to strip paint from entrance door ?

I have a double 6ft wide entrance door that is solid core and painted off white....I want to stripe it down taking all the paint off and then stain with a good wood stain and then seal it.
What is the best way to get the old paint off while "protecting" the wood finish underneath ? at best...it has two coats of paint...but perhaps only one
Thanks, Tim
trinaz wrote:

I recently stripped and refinished a 36" exterior door. I used a Stanley #80 scraper to remove the majority of the old finish
http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan10.htm#num80
followed by a chemical stripper.
Since your door has only one or two coats of paint a hand scraper would work.

http://www.mscdirect.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_I d 10321&pcount=&Product_Id0207&SearchFlag Master Vari-temp heatgun's a winner...quick and clean. Near glass be careful.
--
Doors - Locks - Weatherstripping
POB 250121 Atlanta GA 30325