How are gunstocks cut out?

I have seen pin router duplicators that can duplicate existing stocks, but how are custom stocks carved/cut?

Reply to
McQualude

Roughed out with a copy lathe using a router head. Then a range of Microplanes (one of those "super Surforms") to shape it.

Bandsawn to a profile, then similar.

Drawknife, then spokeshave.

There are many other ways too.

-- Information wants to be free. Data fancies being tied up and spanked by Troi.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How is the inletting done? I've got this old side-plate LC Smith, and...

Henry Bibb

Reply to
Henry Bibb

You get a 1930's copy of "The Modern Gunsmith". Two volumes, one is general gunsmithing, the other is everything you might ever want to know about stocking.

(except that the shotgun fitting advice is a bit duff, if you're used to English guns)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Slowly and carefully, by hand. There are a lot of specialized chisels, scrapers and rasps just for stock inletting. It takes a ton of work to do a good job. Someday I'll give it a try.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

My Dad and I did a walnut stock for an old 218 Bee some 46 years ago when I was about 14. We cut the blank out using a handsaw, a spokeshave for the rough shaping, an assortment of wood rasps and lots of sandpaper and elbow grease ... entirely done by hand, and still a beautiful stock, with carved cheekpiece, to this day. IIRC, we may have got the thrust of the idea from a Popular Mechanics article.

We took turns hunting with that rifle until I quit hunting about 20 years ago. Every time I see it now I can almost hear the songs that were playing on the radio in the barn shop at the time ...

Reply to
Swingman

carefully, and with skill dervied from practice.

Reply to
goonair

No kidding, really? I thought they just fell out of the tree trunk like all woodworking projects.

Reply to
McQualude

Gunstocks are cut on a pattern lathe.

Reply to
Greg

Sounds cheap. They're a fairly common book to find, but they usually go for a bit more than that, especially a pair.

Are yours signed ? It's one of those odd books where the unsigned copies are the rarities.

-- Do whales have krillfiles ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

thanks