How About That

Just received an e-mail from Verizon indicating they are terminating NewsGroups effective 09/30/09.

Damn.

Guess it is time to look for an alternate.

Other than Google, what seems to be best choice for an alternate?

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Indivual.net is 10EUR ($15ish, IIRC) per year. I've used them for at least five years (they were free) and have been happy with their service. Their customer support cannot be beat.

Reply to
krw

and reliable, so far

Reply to
-MIKE-

If you don't need binaries, individual.net is terrific.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On 8/31/2009 9:20 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Damn, indeed.

My ISP uses Verizon for NNTP access. Had some trouble about a week ago and called them (my ISP, not Verizon). I asked them if they'd heard anything about Verizon dropping news, and they said they hadn't.

I hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you're right.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On 8/31/2009 9:20 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Fuck Google. Stay away from their brain-damaged spam-portal.

Dunno about the best choice, but I found aioe.org to have good coverage. No need to sign up; just point your news client to news.aioe.org (port

119) and away you go.

They allow a maximum of 25 postings a day, which seems reasonable. (I'd exceed that, but that's just because I post too much.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I like Astraweb. Pay once and get years of service. And you get binaries too.

Lee Michaels

I've had good luck with newsguy.com, evidentally $24 or $60 a year depending on whether you'd like 3 GB/month or 15GB/month. I'm on the latter since when I enrolled they didn't offer the first choice. Either way the cost is comparatively nothing compared to that of being a clamp collector...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:00d4fd5a$0$9314$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I'll second the vote for Astraweb. If you post text and don't download a lot of binaries, the 120 gig they give you for $25 will last you forever. Access is consistently fast and reliable.

Their support staff was as helpful as they could be when I contacted them about some trouble my former ISP* was causing.

*Wildblue users take note: If you get FAP'd NNTP access might not work at all!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yep. So bad, in fact, there's a website dedicated to instructing how to kill-file google posts by default. I do. If you post from google, I'll never see it cuz I block all google domain post, as do many other folks. Not a google users fault, but so much spam originates from google it's just not worth allowing it in. So I don't.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Just read it in a verizon ng ...

They previously dumped a bunch of groups.

Reply to
LD

I've been using APN for a few years and really like it.. About $3 a month for fast servers, great retention and I haven't had any server down-time..

every newsgroup imaginable, including ABPW Oh.. no ads, restrictions, etc....

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Puckdropper wrote in news:00188c6d$0$24662$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I will attest to the good service Astraweb is giving. My $10 for 25GB has lasted for over a year and maybe I have by now used 1 GB of that.

Reply to
Han

Buy a block. Never expires, includes binaries, cheap, reliable.

dadiOH

rote:

p://

Yup. I second that APN suggestion.

Reply to
Robatoy

Your internet connection provider does not have to be your ISP. Here we have Comcast that handles the wires and our ISP is Earthlink. Earthlink provides Giganews as part of their fee.

In the alternative, I'm sure an upstanding group like Verizon will rebate part of your bill in return for the diminished service. With this rebate, you can surely afford even the most robust newsserver.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, just like AT&T lowered our rates - NOT!. They politely explained that Newsgroup access had been a "free" service.

Reply to
wrbrown13

I don't do many binaries, so my $10 - 25GB is still working after 4

1/2 years!! Get Astroweb!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Nobody has mentioned Supernews yet, so I will: Supernews. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I got the same email from Verizon this AM.

I'll probably swith over to Giganews but I have no idea what the monthly GB plan would work for rec.woodworking, rec.crafts.woodturning, alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, and one other woodworking related binary group that I used to subscribe to and but don't remember the name.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Nova