How About That

Page 1 of 3
Just received an e-mail from Verizon indicating they are terminating NewsGroups effective 09/30/09.
Damn.
Guess it is time to look for an alternate.
Other than Google, what seems to be best choice for an alternate?
Lew
Lew
On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 04:20:05 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Indivual.net is 10EUR ($15ish, IIRC) per year. I've used them for at least five years (they were free) and have been happy with their service. Their customer support cannot be beat.

http://www.eternal-september.org /
free and reliable, so far
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Seconded.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

If you don't need binaries, individual.net is terrific.
On 8/31/2009 9:20 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Damn, indeed.
My ISP uses Verizon for NNTP access. Had some trouble about a week ago and called them (my ISP, not Verizon). I asked them if they'd heard anything about Verizon dropping news, and they said they hadn't.
I hope you're wrong but I'm afraid you're right.

Just read it in a verizon ng ...
They previously dumped a bunch of groups.

Oh, the irony.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I got the same email from Verizon this AM.
I'll probably swith over to Giganews but I have no idea what the monthly GB plan would work for rec.woodworking, rec.crafts.woodturning, alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, and one other woodworking related binary group that I used to subscribe to and but don't remember the name.
Any suggestions?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

I use the 4.99 per month and never run out of bytes.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

I've read thousands of messages, loaded a couple dozen pictures, and have only scratched the surface of my 25 gig. Last I checked, it was 0.16 gig.
If you primarily read and reply to text-based groups, and don't do more than A.B.P.W. for binaries, it'll take you forever to use a gig of bandwidth.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

Only 0.16 GB? I take it you've skipped the "Edward" threads. (R,D&H)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

With Astroweb there is no usage for the headers in a thread, only for the message you click on and download to your computer.
I signed on to this group a week ago after a long absent and lost no band width catching up.
Tom J

I also signed with astraweb, after ATT dumped the newsgroups....25$ gets you 180 gigs of transfers, and they never expire....and they claim to keep everything anonymous, unlike other servers...they have complete uncensored content with almost 365 day retention.....
Hope this helps.....
DCH

Not really necessary to skip the Edward thread to save bandwidth. All you have to do is filter Daneliuk's name and you'd never have a bandwidth issue, at least not in rec.woodworking.
Upscale wrote:

The problem with filters is they don't work on the "fish".
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Fuck Google. Stay away from their brain-damaged spam-portal.
Dunno about the best choice, but I found aioe.org to have good coverage. No need to sign up; just point your news client to news.aioe.org (port 119) and away you go.
They allow a maximum of 25 postings a day, which seems reasonable. (I'd exceed that, but that's just because I post too much.)

Yep. So bad, in fact, there's a website dedicated to instructing how to kill-file google posts by default. I do. If you post from google, I'll never see it cuz I block all google domain post, as do many other folks. Not a google users fault, but so much spam originates from google it's just not worth allowing it in. So I don't.
nb
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I'll second that. Server is at news.aioe.org. I've been happy with them, but no binaries.
Tanus

I like Astraweb. Pay once and get years of service. And you get binaries too.
www.astraweb.com