Houston under water.

Page 2 of 3

I'm sure they got a federal grant to pay for it, which means all us taxpayers got to help out :-(
John

Sounds like a plan, But that preserves the idiots. How about if there is a barricade and you go around it, you are on your own, period. Weed those people out and you eliminate the possibility of those same people doing something else that is stupid like running red lights.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

dozens of creeks that are also roadbeds that flood constantly will never be fixed.

complaining. But the cost of two police cars, a hook and ladder truck to extend out to him and the ambulance to treat him for exposure after they literally fished him out of the water came to about $16,000 (with his fine).

Typical Big Government thinking.
How about "go around a barricade and get in trouble we don't give a crap"? Why should the governmnent be doing _anything_ for the idiot?
On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 10:37:07 PM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

I am sure that on the path I am on now I will get as bitter and cynical, fu ll of venom for those I deem and "idiot".
Not there yet. Most of the folks they rescue these days (high water rescue s here are quite rare these days) no doubt have no valid reason, but I can understand it somewhat.
An 85 year old woman driving home went around a barricade that she mistook for a "pothole marker" which a single barricade is often used to mark. She got in about 4 inches of water and panicked, stopped, and called 911. Whe n the rescue team got there, the water was about 6 inches deep so they walk ed out on safety ropes and carried her to safety. Did she deserved help or deserve to die? I know your answer!
We no longer have state controlled driver's licensing, so parents are taske d with finding a driver's school that will teach their kids to drive. The schools are licensed and are state approved for operation, but after that.. . only routine continuing education is required of these schools. A couple of years ago two girls, juniors in high school I believe, were going somew here and the rain had stopped and the runoff was building up. They became stranded when their cute little girl car was washed off the road by a wave about 10 inches high. It shoved it into a creek bed, and the passenger dro wned. The driver said she didn't think about the danger since it had quit raining and the water on the road was just a couple of inches when the star ted across. Damn beginning drivers... should they be rescued for their bad judgement?
No need to answer... I know, I know.

Poor judgement and lack of experience deserve to be punished.
I wonder how you would feel if it had been your Mother/grandmother or daugh ter... hopefully you wouldn't move off your principles just because it was someone you knew! (Past tense)
I love how you turn it to slam at Big Government. Classic.
Robert
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 16:49:19 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I have no problem rescuing idiots from themselves. I have no problem charging them for the full cost of their rescue, either. That goes for idiots who climb mountains just because they're there, too.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

No you don't.
My view is that if government offers a service then the service should be free to all in need. If the government can't afford to offer the service then the solution is to not offer the services, not start billing the people who use it.

little girl car was washed off the road by a wave about 10 inches high. It shoved it into a creek bed, and the passenger drowned. The driver said she didn't think about the danger since it had quit raining and the water on the road was just a couple of inches when the started across. Damn beginning drivers... should they be rescued for their bad judgement?

No doubt people like you are the ones responsible for our government being umpteen ,000,000,000,000,000 dollars in debt.

On 4/19/16 9:56 AM, Swingman wrote:

It was there, the soy based adhesive just didn't stick to the 100% recycled print stock very well..
-BR
On 4/18/2016 10:01 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Not this time. Did that back in 2001, during TS Allison. When I rebuilt, I made damned sure it wouldn't happen again.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

most wood floats nothing to worry about
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 1:28:05 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

Natalie Wood doesn't (sic) float.
On Tuesday, April 19, 2016 at 3:38:42 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:

You do know that she didn't like to take showers, don't you?

Could happen if her graveyard floods. Caskets have been known to "pop up" at inopportune times.
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 15:35:20 -0400

saw a photo that seemed unbelievable and i am still not sure it was legit
amazing what can be done to photos but it looked real think it was on imgur
it showed a street there at night with cars submerged above the top of the doors and most of the cars had their lights on
strange site to see

It prolly was. I recall hearing, as a wee tad, that TX had suffered a terrible rain, almost 1" per hour, for 24 hrs. This back in the 50s or 60s.
nb

I think you're thinking of Tropical Storm Claudette, in 1979. 42 inches of rain in 24hrs at Alvin TX (altho there's some reason to doubt the exact accuracy of that number, it was a lot of rain however you look at it).
John

2001, tropical storm Allison. The event lasted 2 weeks. 36" over one of the weekends.
In the 80's maybe 85 we lived in Austin. We got 17" one NIGHT! That was a 400 year flood.
That year we got 200, 300, 400 year floods. All came across the desert from Mexico and dumped not only rain but tornados that dumped grapefruit size hail or flat saucier flung from the sides and sliced the bark off oaks.
The coastal area is so flat and has poor drainage it has to flood. A massive drainage area of most of East Texas and Central flows in large rivers and raise more water from up north.
Right now, 200 miles north of Houston, our two rivers are running over the banks. The large lakes are full and input = output.
Martin
On 4/21/2016 3:29 PM, Leon wrote:

I was in Detroit a year, or so, ago after torrential rain. The Interstate underpasses were filled right up to the bottom of the bridges. Wasn't happy about driving local Detroit streets from the airport out to the burbs at midnight but getting real wet wasn't a good idea either.
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 8:51:10 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:

I drove through a slightly flooded underpass a few years back. The water was deep enough to do this:
http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/hydroplaning-1.jpg
We had the AC on and the windows rolled up. The lady in the oncoming lane did not.