Houston under water.

Same here.

Reply to
woodchucker

You do know that she didn't like to take showers, don't you?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

FWW did a comparison of something like 20 various products some years ago. I don't recall who "won", but I do remember noting that Boeshield didn't rate all that well; somewhere down in the middle of the pack.

Actually, none of them were all that great it seems I remember thinking was the real conclusion one could draw. Makes living where it doesn't rain all that much somewhat more palatable for other things (besides the farming one, anyway)... :)

We finally managed to get another 0.45" today after almost all day drizzling/sprinkling. Just west of town only 6 or 7 mi west fella' reported at the coffee shop this morning they'd already had another inch by 10AM...on top of the 2" or so from Saturday/Sunday. Just can't get a break over here, though, it seems...

Ah, well, since had had nothing measurable since first week of February, will accept any and manage to get by since there's not much choice otherwise.

The guys w/ 9" and more aren't that much better off.

Reply to
dpb

I'm glad I'm not alone. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Could happen if her graveyard floods. Caskets have been known to "pop up" at inopportune times.

Reply to
krw

A good rule of thumb that I use is to put o 2-3 coats initially. Let it glaze over between coats so that you can see your coverage. After that I mostly rely on the feel of the wood sliding on the surface to signal the need for another coat. I never get rust from humidity but salty sweat will get you so I try to not touch the surface unless my hands are dry. If I am leaning on the top, like when changing blades I make sure to dry where my sweaty arms or hands touched.

Keep in mind that my TS is not a show piece so a perfect looking top is not my goal so much as keeping rust to an absolute minimum. If I do get a spot of rust I buff the spot with steel wool and spot treat with Topcote. Nothing is fool proof but Topcote is my preferred preventative. It does not affect wood finishes.

Reply to
Leon

saw a photo that seemed unbelievable and i am still not sure it was legit

amazing what can be done to photos but it looked real think it was on imgur

it showed a street there at night with cars submerged above the top of the doors and most of the cars had their lights on

strange site to see

Reply to
Electric Comet

It prolly was. I recall hearing, as a wee tad, that TX had suffered a terrible rain, almost 1" per hour, for 24 hrs. This back in the 50s or 60s.

nb

Reply to
notbob

notbob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I think you're thinking of Tropical Storm Claudette, in 1979.

42 inches of rain in 24hrs at Alvin TX (altho there's some reason to doubt the exact accuracy of that number, it was a lot of rain however you look at it).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

2001, tropical storm Allison. The event lasted 2 weeks. 36" over one of the weekends.
Reply to
Leon

Sounds like a plan, But that preserves the idiots. How about if there is a barricade and you go around it, you are on your own, period. Weed those people out and you eliminate the possibility of those same people doing something else that is stupid like running red lights.

Reply to
Leon

I was in Detroit a year, or so, ago after torrential rain. The Interstate underpasses were filled right up to the bottom of the bridges. Wasn't happy about driving local Detroit streets from the airport out to the burbs at midnight but getting real wet wasn't a good idea either.

Reply to
krw

I drove through a slightly flooded underpass a few years back. The water was deep enough to do this:

We had the AC on and the windows rolled up. The lady in the oncoming lane did not.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I remember doing that with drum brakes. The fade got pretty scary.

Reply to
krw

I've been on a few roads where the only way to get throgh was to take off the fanbelt and go slow. Leave the belt on, and you were GUARANTEED to flood out too fast and the front would rise on the bow wave and you were off the side and into the ditch.

Reply to
clare

In the 80's maybe 85 we lived in Austin. We got 17" one NIGHT! That was a 400 year flood.

That year we got 200, 300, 400 year floods. All came across the desert from Mexico and dumped not only rain but tornados that dumped grapefruit size hail or flat saucier flung from the sides and sliced the bark off oaks.

The coastal area is so flat and has poor drainage it has to flood. A massive drainage area of most of East Texas and Central flows in large rivers and raise more water from up north.

Right now, 200 miles north of Houston, our two rivers are running over the banks. The large lakes are full and input = output.

Mart> notbob wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I can hear kids everywhere asking "What's a fan belt? Why didn't you just pull the fuse?"

I used to keep a pair of vice-grips under the seat of my 66 lay-down Rambler. If I accelerated too hard while turning, the motor would shift causing the fan to hit the shroud. The tips would bend over and contact the radiator causing a hell of a racket. I'd have to pull over and bend the tips back.

I still miss that car. You seem to miss your first love the most.

DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

That flexibility must have been an AMC thing. My buddy's

360 AMX would flex the chassis under hard acceleration too, altho in his case it tended to break the transmission rather than simply bend the fan (oddly, as far as I know his 390 AMX did not flex, even tho it had quite a bit more power).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

There was a lot of AMC "things". ;-)

Actually, I'm pretty sure mine was a motor mount issue.

Some AMC cars ran the wipers with the vacuum. They used a vacuum booster set-up on top of the fuel pump to increase the vacuum under acceleration. My booster pump started leaking so I bypassed it and hooked the lines to/from the pump together. So what if the wipers stopped when you were accelerating onto a highway? Lift your foot, get a wipe, put your foot back down. Repeat as required.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

dozens of creeks that are also roadbeds that flood constantly will never be fixed.

complaining. But the cost of two police cars, a hook and ladder truck to extend out to him and the ambulance to treat him for exposure after they literally fished him out of the water came to about $16,000 (with his fine).

Typical Big Government thinking.

How about "go around a barricade and get in trouble we don't give a crap"? Why should the governmnent be doing _anything_ for the idiot?

Reply to
J. Clarke