Houston under water.

You guys in Houston, are you ok?

16-20 inches of rain.. Holly crap.
Reply to
woodchucker

Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:jeWdnZifMc1Bx4jKnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I hope you put another coat of BoeShield on your tools before the rain started!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Glad to see you still can joke about it. Then you must not have had to bail out.

Reply to
woodchucker

Boeshield does not even work on our humidity. :-(

Reply to
Leon

Saw a guy drive into the water and started to get out the passenger door. He got out and started to swim to the side of the freeway. News man helped him the last bit. His car by then just went under - it was on the ground, the water just rose 3' while he was moving away!

Houston is rather flat and has trouble in ridding itself of water. If rivers bring more than can easily flow to the ocean, it stacks up.

As a retired and 50 year old Geo my maps show Quaternary soil there. That means the fifty miles or less from the coast can come and go at the will of time. It isn't permanent soil yet. Mostly marsh and waterways. Building used fill and piles to make inland islands and created a stable city. Floods are just something that happen. Some are 200 or 400 year flood. To me it is still water on my feet.

When living in the Austin area we had 2, 4, 6 and 8oo year floods in one year. 17" in my backyard one night. This was in the early 80's.

If a low or a pair of lows (like now) get pulling water off the gulf the water goes somewhere. The worst is when you have rivers that are being rained upon along their entire length of several hundred miles. That really dives water down to the coast. Dams might have been dumping early to keep control. Most of our dams are full.

Mart> >>> You guys in Houston, are you ok?

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Boeshield doesn't work under water. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Not this time. Did that back in 2001, during TS Allison. When I rebuilt, I made damned sure it wouldn't happen again.

Reply to
Swingman

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

What are you using? I thought Boeshield was what worked in Texas.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

He puts it on his pirogue, instead.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Actually he was on a street under pass leading to a freeway entrance intersection. He jumped out of his floating car, after opening the passenger door the car sank. The water did not rise that fast.

We have about 8-9 bayous, the name native Indians called rivers. This would happen anywhere that receives 10-15 inches of rain in a 5-10 hour period. In 2001 during TS Allson we received 35 inches in one weekend.

Reply to
Leon

For many years I used Topcote made by Empire. They sold to Bostick and while not as good as the original I use that today. 16 years ago I tried Boeshield on a new saw and the next morning had rust and I had not yet used the saw.

Fwiw the original Topcote was made to made the TS surface slick and it did a very good job at that. I noticed that as an additional benefit that it prevented rust. The current version is more focused on preventing rust and IIRC not making the top slick.

I found that to make Boeshield work I had to put on enough that it had to be wiped off before use, every day. Topcoat is specifically made for tool surfaces and a good heavy coating can last for months before rust begins to show. YMMV.

Reply to
Leon

They don't got no topsoil, anymore, hardly. It's mostly concrete.

Many southern cities have, similarly, paved over large areas, hence less an d less water-absorbing green areas, contributing to surface run-off, floodi ng, this way.

Our genius city engineers don't know how to properly concrete a coulee/drai nage ditch, either. The fairly-recently-concreted coulee, next to my shop , has the slope pointing down, by 1 foot over 200 yards length, as it goes upstream.... which is suppose to drain the Ambassador Caffree Parkway (5 la ne), but they screwed up the parkway leveling/slope, as well, so everything , there, is under water (road closure), often, even with a moderate rain.

The above is not our only example of poor city-drainage engineering.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Hell ... it got me to the liquor store yesterday. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Not to mention the spending habits of those in power.

A handful of years ago the city fathers here built a civic center. It is quite nice. It was also very expensive; I've heard figures ranging from 28 to 41 million. Now, the town was less tham 20,000 at the time so that works out to be somewhere between $1,400 to $2,000+ per person. EVERY person.

Worse yet, they now have a budget "shortfall" so they levied a fire fee of $150+ per year on all property owners (except for churches, of course).

Oh yeah...they built a new city hall too. The old one was too small to accommodate the ever increasing size of local government.

Reply to
dadiOH

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com

Well, that's worth knowing. Humidity's even worse here at the pointy end of Fla, I'll have to give Topcote a try.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Sonny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I read that as "perogie" first time past, and thought "ick".

John

Reply to
John McCoy

most wood floats nothing to worry about

Reply to
Electric Comet

"dadiOH" wrote in news:nf5o1c$l5u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'm sure they got a federal grant to pay for it, which means all us taxpayers got to help out :-(

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Natalie Wood doesn't (sic) float.