House Number Pattern

A friend asked me to scroll wooden house numbers for him using the numerals 2 and 7. I said would size them so that each number would be the largest that would fit on an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper. I then went to MS word, set all the margins to .5", the font size to 900 and typed the numeral 2.

What I got was a numeral 2 that was truncated at the bottom with about

3" of space above it. I think the numeral would fit on the page if I could remove the 3 " of space above it. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA and Happy New Year to all.

Reply to
mike

I'm a write and was a book publisher for 30 years. Magazines and other publications don't just magnify type to get it bigger or smaller. It doesn't look right, and the eye picks up on it immediately.

Get a bunch of magazines and look for appealing numbers in their full-page advertising. Then copy those.

The big stuff is called "display type", and it is special. Ladies fashion magazines and travel publications often have large numbers in the ads.

Good luck.

Gary Curtis - Los Angeles

Reply to
extiger

That's correct. Most word processors do not bother making the letter 'o' larger than the letters beside it, which proper type-setting programs will do.

Or you could use a proper vector/Postscript based program, such as Adobe Illustrator. Set Page set-up to 'landscape' and type in 27. Highlight and choose your font. Then use the scaling tool to enlarge the type till it fits the page. Then select 'create outlines' under the text menu and print. You can even adjust the 'stroke' of the outline to the thickness of the blade you are using.

Reply to
Robatoy

The OP stated that he selected an absurdly large font size. That will result in a properly proportioned numeral. His problem is that it is not printing on the page correctly - it is leaving a very larger header space and running the print off the bottom of the page. I'd just use an 8 1/2 X

14 sheet of paper.
Reply to
Mike Marlow

That should work. Also, he might try changing the leading for the number. That's the space built into the font to permit one row on top of another without bumping into each other. Couldn't tell you off hand what value to set it to. I think nominal is 120%, so 100% may solve the problem.

Reply to
LRod

Mike,

I played with it a little bit in Word 2000, I went to Format|Paragraph. Make sure "Spacing" before and after is 0 and set "Line Spacing" to "Exactly

900pt". This should get you pretty close. I just spent a minute or two on it. You made need to play with it a bit to get what you want.
Reply to
Preston Andreas

Wed, Jan 4, 2006, 6:18pm (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (mike) wildly asks: Anyone have any ideas?

When I needed to scrollsaw house numbers I googled until I found a style I liked, printed what I needed, and photocopied them to the right size. Came out nice.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Word -> Fomat -> Paragraph -> Line Spacing choose Multiple at 0.75 Happy routing Max

Reply to
Max63

On 4 Jan 2006 18:18:59 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, "mike" quickly quoth:

Try a different font which uses the upper reach of the character field it's drawn on.

You also might try offsetting the character on the page and ignoring the warnings from Word about it not being printable. Just a guess. (Some progs allow that, some don't, and I seldom use Word.)

------------------------------------------------------------ California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake --------------------------------------

NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Go to Tool, Options and set the text to be centered on the page instead of top aligned.

: >What I got was a numeral 2 that was truncated at the bottom with about : >3" of space above it. I think the numeral would fit on the page if I : >could remove the 3 " of space above it. Anyone have any ideas? : : Try a different font which uses the upper reach of the character field : it's drawn on. : : You also might try offsetting the character on the page and ignoring : the warnings from Word about it not being printable. Just a guess. : (Some progs allow that, some don't, and I seldom use Word.) : : : ------------------------------------------------------------ : California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake : -------------------------------------- :

NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards

Reply to
Pop

Go to Format | Paragraph | Line Spacing

and change the settings to

Exactly 900 pt (or less)

Reply to
Greg Esres

Robatoy:

Well -- two right answers ain't bad.

I have been argued to death on this issue by people who have never published documents. ... And that's because it takes a while to understand the issues. This is a case where giving the right answer may not help anybody much -- they are highly unlikely to do as you and the previous fellow suggested since it is not at all obvious why your answer is correct. However I cast a third vote for choosing the proper _typeface_ -- and then choosing a reasonably sized _font_ (within the typeface family) for the task at hand.

Indeed some _typefaces_ look good at certain sizes and "weights" -- but not at others -- If you want large letters and numbers choose a "Headline" or "Large Size (large Font) style of "typeface". (Somebody who undertood type face design principles did it this way for a reason.) If you want an obvious answer -- think about why Arial looks good in small sizes (more clear). The Times Roman family of fonts is not that great for presenting spreadsheets -- too many curly-cues (serifs). Arial is a non-serif font and hence will remain clear and non-confusing as to content in very small point sizes. With large Typefaces you can add decoration without losing or obfuscating the information content.

Most Type Managers group the fonts this way. If you have ever installed Corel Draw it suggests families of typefaces to achieve certain results

-- book publishing, newspaper writing, Invitations, posters etc.

Vector programs allow you to draw a font more clearly -- expanding a _raster (dot based) image simply gives you a clear but jagged picture... Choosing the right Typeface and Font to present clearly is an entirely different issue... (to me anyway).

Picking the _right_ typeface and font for the _best_ presentation of information is a combination of art and science.

I leave it to you Robatoy to explain mono-spaced typefaces and fonts versus.... Well like Courier vs Arial vs Say Times Roman you know... Oh

-- and say a bit about kerning and justification...

Hope that helps a bit more.

willr

WillR