hot glue release agent?

Hi all, Not wood related, but glue related, so thought I'd try here. Want to use hot glue for a project, but would like it to not stick to some areas - do any of you have suggestions for a way to do this? I have a steel plate that I'll arrange glass powder on, and want to try to pick up the glass powder with hot glue that's been applied to another plate. The idea is to lay the second plate on top of the first, heat the back side of the upper plate until the glue melts, then let it cool. If there's some way to treat the lower plate first so that the hot glue will release from it, the upper plate would come off with just the glass powder attached to it. Thanks for any suggestions, Kerry

Hot glue is basically polythene so it won't stick to e.g. silicone or teflon.
You could experment with PTFE spray lubricant or a silicone spray. Rocol mould relese spray would probably work - its desined to stop PE sticking to mould surfaces in injection moulding.

A sheet of waxed paper on the lower plate with the glass powder on top of it.
Charley
(about releasing hot melt glue)

I'm thinking wax, while weak, isn't impermeable to the glue. How about a damp cloth instead? Water does repel the polyethylene glue. Use salt water if the cloth dries too easily.

that probably won't work. the water will wick away the heat too fast. i believe the temp of the glue is above the boiling point of water, so the rag will steam and the glue won't melt until the water is gone.
Kerry Montgomery wrote:

What about Waxilit? They mention using it as a glue resist.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p2092&cat=1,43415,43440
Chris
On Wed, 28 May 2008 17:18:24 -0600, Chris Friesen

That sounds like a good suggestion.

Hi all, Thanks for the great suggestions. I'll try Waxilit and PTFE spray, and, if no luck there, the Rocol mold release. A film of something on top of the metal plate will be OK, but I think wax paper or anything with any real thickness won't work here. Thanks again, Kerry