Hot Dipped Galvanived Screws

Hi All I've always used these screws for out door furniture with very good results after 10-15 years. Tried to get some for ala Norm adirondack chairs I'm building for a nephew. Local yards and the borg say these screws are being phased out in favor of a coated screw like GripRite. Question is are they as good or better for non-staining ? Joe
joey wrote:

ago-- no staining yet-- got-em at Lowes, don't remember the brand. They were in reg wolmanized (getting scarce now- the wood, not the screws) PH

I've used them on decking and they seem OK. On furniture, I've been using stainless steel. You can get some nice square drive SS screws from both Lee Valley and McFeelys.
I agree, for most outdoor furniture, I have gone to 100% SS fasteners. Cost for something like an Adirondack charge going stainless kicks the price up probably less than a couple dollars, and eliminates virutally ALL possibility of staining.
John

"joey" writes:

IMHO, I doubt it, but what the heck, I'm a boat builder..
Why not go stainless?
They aren't that expensive.
Might want to take a look at Jamestown Distributors.
HTH
Lew
As far as non-staining, it really depends on what type of wood you are screwing together. For example, galvanized can stain cedar and redwood easily, but not so for SYP. Square drive stainless steel are my favorite, will not stain anything i know of, and are worth the extra few cents per screw. --dave

I think the real problem is the new PT lumber. It eats galvanized screws
gfretwell responds:

I think someof the problem is mislabeling of galvanized screws. About 16 years ago,I built a redwood deck on this house, using double dipped galvanized. For the past year, I've been replacing deck boards that rotted around the rusted screws. I'm using stainless from McFeely's this time.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000
Yep thats what my bother told me. The acid in older PT eats galvinized screws apprently newer PT is a safer "gnawable" formula

Greg
The NEW copper based PT lumber is WORSE for eating/corroding galvanized hardware than the old PT lumber. Most folks are either going with super heavy galvanized stuff for the new PT lumber, OR (in my opinion the better choice) going to SS hardware/fasteners (and that included things like joist hangers, j-bolts in the foundation/etc
John

I'll check them out should a thought of them. The wood I use from HD is labeled kiln dried straight grain doug fir is medium soft so I also liked the coarser threads on galvinized in the past I haven't been able to find SS in coarse threads

joey responds:

Check www.mcfeely.com. Deck screws. Remarkable.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000

My local full service lumber yard has them in boxes as well as by the pound. Square drive, too.
My _only_ problem with McFeeley's is that I have to plan more than 20 minutes ahead.
Patriarch

On one show, Norm mentioned that galvanized screws eventually stained wood (whether it be white oak, teak, cypress, redwood, cedar or PT). I used galvanized screws on a large outdoor plant stand, but I don't expect the stand to last much more than 10-15 years. On better outdoor furniture use stainless steel screws--a little expensive but no staining at all.