hose for dust collector system

I have a 2 hp Jet dust collector...my first...there are two 4" intakes on the unit....is it best to run 4" hose around the small shop rather than 3"...etc...and when dropping to a tool...should you keep using mostly 4"...or is it ok to drop down to 3" or 2 1/2" at the split off fitting to the stationary tool ?
Thanks, TR

It is best to keep the hose as large as possible up until you have to taper down for a particular tool. I use 20' of 4" flex hose up to every tool and use an adapter if necessary at that point to go smaller, or in the case of my planer, larger.
tr wrote:

I would think if the Jet is like most DCs the two 4" inputs are removable and you will have a 5" main input. Use 5" metal piping around the shop, drop off the 5" main to a 4" flexible hose for each tool. Get as close as possible before dropping to anything less than 4". I had 80' of flexible hose as lines around my shop (I got it free at Penn State with my DC) and it was terrible. Metal pipe has made a tremendous difference in collection ability.
tr wrote:

I think anyone setting up a dust collection system should read Bill Pentz's discussions at http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm
Even if you don't buy into everything he says about the health hazzards of wood dust, he's done a lot of research and gives a lot of good, free advice. You'll find your answer there, along with a lot of answers to questions you may not have thought of yet.
DonkeyHody "If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 19:31:30 -0800, DonkeyHody wrote:

Further, he tells you how to build a hellaciously good cyclone.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Stick with 4". You can either run two circuits with 4" all around, or run a 5" main truck and 4" drops for each tool. That is usually best determined by your shop layout. If you take the cover off the inlet, instead of two 4" you can run one 5" or 6" line, I forget which right now.
Here is a extensive article on this subject:
http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/mag_cyclone/ductwork.shtml