Horizontal router table with X-Y axis

Im sure all or most of us are aware of what a multi-router is. With that in mind I was looking today in vain for some homemade versions. I just cant see where this could be that hard to make. First let me say Im mainly interested on being able to perform the simple plunge-in then pass left and right technique that made the multi-router so popular to start with. If anyone has built something like this or seen something about it on the net I sure would appreciate the insight.
Thanks!
Jim
-- ....
February's Popular Woodworking has a How-To article on building one.

in
see
interested
has
would
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 20:12:11 GMT, "James D Kountz"
|Im sure all or most of us are aware of what a multi-router is. With that in |mind I was looking today in vain for some homemade versions. I just cant see |where this could be that hard to make. First let me say Im mainly interested |on being able to perform the simple plunge-in then pass left and right |technique that made the multi-router so popular to start with. If anyone has |built something like this or seen something about it on the net I sure would |appreciate the insight.
I'm pretty sure I saw an article (or maybe I dreamed about it and it's my invention) in FWW where the guy used ball bearing drawer slides in lieu of the pricy linear bearings to move a pair of tables in X-Y.
Unfortunately, their online index sucks so I'm not about to go looking for it for you <g>.
Wes
Thanks guys I'll have a look at that.
Jim

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 04:50:34 GMT, "James D Kountz"
Jim, the March 2003 ShopNotes #68 had that particular plan with the drawer slides in it. www.shopnotes.com

======================================================= TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications =========================
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 04:58:49 GMT, Larry Jaques
| |>Thanks guys I'll have a look at that. | |Jim, the March 2003 ShopNotes #68 had that particular plan |with the drawer slides in it. |www.shopnotes.com | |
Well, I did it anyway. FWW No. 141 pp 67-69
Wes

I've wondered about this. a router jig to cut mortise and tennon jointery isn't going to need a lot of throw, so short heavy duty ball bearing glides could be used. they won't have much deflection in one direction, but the other direction may cause problems. maybe double up the sets, even mount them on the legs of angle iron.
dust shielding is gonna be another concern. there must be a source of accordioning rubber tubing out there- like dust boots for shock absorbers but smaller.     Bridger
Check the new Grizzy catalogue.I think it's page 59. They have a horizontal boring machine.Looks like the motor could be removed . Add router with a90* bracket.

in
see
interested
has
would
There is a design for a nice fixture that will do this in "Classic Joints with Power Tools" by Yeung Chan. This is an awesome book, by the way. I built the fixture from melanine and contact cement, it was quite easy to build (and I am a novice woodworker who has been trying to get my table saw sled square for weeks now...) I mounted the router horizontally on a piece of plywood which attaches to the side of my normal router table with some bolts and wing nuts, it is pretty easy to adjust vertically that way. The x-y fixture then sits on top of the router table.
I've just started doing some mortises with the jig, and it's done a pretty good job, except for one solid-carbide router bit that broke (oops). Take your time when doing the mortises.
- Natedogg

Natedogg- please post pictures of your jig over on alt.binaries,pictures.woodworking....     Bridger