Hoping the glue holds

I hosed a up a delicate piece of oak I was working on with the jigsaw. The cut is fine, but as I was making it the slim section I was working on just fell off - like it'd been cut by an inviisible blade. Hacked me off, as it was my own fault for not supporting it well enough. Very VERY clean break, smoother than a baby's bottom but I'm wondering if I need to do anything with both ends before glueing it together and praying it will hold.
Do I need to allow for expansion in the glue when I attempt to assemble the pieces or will the glue not add any appreciable dimension to the joint? Presumably I won't be slathering it on like peanut butter.

the theory that the super glue will hold it until the yellow glue dries. I would practice on a scrap first.

Eigenvector wrote:

Are you saying it broke across the length and you want to butt the ends together? If so, gluing won't work if the joint ever has any stress. OTOH, if the break is with the grain, glue away. Masking tape works well for pulling one piece against another and clamping.
--

dadiOH

Seriously, depending on the size of the pieces you're talking about, I'd try to put in a pin of some sort to keep it together. I did this a while back when I was repairing a piece of my wife's sculpture that the cat knocked onto the floor, glue wouldn't hold it, just looking at it funny would make the piece fall off, but I took a brad, cut off the end, drilled a tiny hole into each end and then re-glued and now... you couldn't take it off with less than a hammer.