Hope you're right about Lee Valley

Page 1 of 2
Ordered an Osborne EB-3 today from Lee Valley. As opposed to nothing from Amazon, I had to pay $12.00 shipping but felt that supporting a company everyone seems to be so happy with is worth it. Besides that, I doubt that the President of Amazon really cares what customer peceptions of product are.
Don
You need not be the least bit concerned about your LV order. I have done business with this company many times and have never been disappointed. They are a first class business.
-- Bill Rittner R & B ENTERPRISES Manchester, CT
snipped-for-privacy@cox.net
"Don't take this life too seriously.......nobody gets out alive" (Unknown)
Remove "no" to reply

catalog I just got is that they are going to cost me a fortune!!! Such nice stuff... Can't I get a break and finish paying off my visa card from the last order? sigh...
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:58:57 GMT, Denis

I have been hinting at it, and now I'm going to spell it out. I think LV is a a very devious company. Why else would a company put an IR heater in a winter catalog? The rest of the tools are all of the best quality as well. Their catalogues I'm sure are designed so that they are hard to put down. They are so nice and pretty that even the SWMBO won't throw them out no matter where and how often you leave them laying around. Its all a plot to keep mens pockets empty. In my case any extra that i "squirrel" away doesn't stay put long. I suppose i could spend it on non-essentials like food, or the electric bill. Ken, not enjoying the cold spell in NS
What's worse is this time they had a book, "The Art of Fine Tools" on clearance - marked down to $14.80 from $37.00. It was the same book I had just talked myself out of buying at Barnes and Noble because it was too expensive.
Sigh -- of course I couldn't buy just one book on a Lee Valley order. The book that was too expensive at $37, and was marked down to $14.80, ended up costing me $98.30.
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:58:57 GMT, Denis

I observed throughout my life that attention to detail _is_ the difference between mediocrity and supremacy. LV's attention to detail is superb ... you will not be disappointed ... and if you are, as no human entity is perfect, I'd bet any issue that might crop up will get resolved speedily and to your satisfaction.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

I don't think you can go wrong. Lee Valley is the best example I can think of in terms of company excellence. Their prices are always fair, their customer service is consistently excellent, and their business eithics are impeccable. Simply put, they're a pleasure to do business with.
We're right about Lee Valley.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
I find true pleasure, by simply walking into their store and browsing though the displays Whether I need anything or not. Have always left with a good feeling

I don't - I always feel poor and lacking in essential toys. I spend inordinate hours afterwards leafing through the catalogue and drooling. Sigh...
Mike :-)
It just doesn't get any better with LV Customer Service... As we've said a zillion times in the past, they wrote the book!
Bob S.

The difference between Lee Valley and Amazon is not worth $12.00. I would have and do use Amazon -- they have good customer service, too -- well a good return policy. They do not have staff that is knowledgeable about the details of ther products - true - but I don't usually need that and when I do, I support Lee Valley and other companies like them.....
On 6 Jan 2004 18:04:06 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Never Enough Money) wrote:

The difference was probably more like $Zero!
Amazon's free shipping means you'll wait, and wait, and wait. Not using free shipping means he'd pay $10-12 for shipping from Amazon, the same as LV. Everything I've ever ordered from Lee Valley was shipped the same day and arrived quickly and perfectly packed.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Not to mention the return policy. Good grief.

My only LV complaint says more about me than it does about Lee Valley - It takes a while to get my purchases to me in Northern California, and I'm not particularly patient. If there were an upgraded shipping option with Web ordering, I'd likely pay for the upgrade.
Once I decide I want a new device for making wispy, curly shavings on the floor, I'd rather like to have it right away! ;-)
Now, if there were a local store, I'd likely have the same 'direct deposit' complaint I hear from some of the Canadian wReckers.
Patriarch, waiting as patiently as I can for a couple of new spokeshaves...
On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 16:04:13 -0600, D. J. Dorn wrote:

LV treated me fairly on a recent purchase. A drill bit failed and I had a replacement in 2 days via Fedex all at LV expense. Not bad for a <$5 bit.

Actually, Jeff Bezos, CEO of Amazon, DOES care what customers think. He's one of the best CEOs in business. Remember, Amazon, not long ago, just started as an online book store. There's a REASON they still exist today, and it's because of great customer service.
Hi Don -
Thanks for vote of confidence....
We can (and do) screw up as much as anyone else does...but will always do our best to fix whatever the problem is...
Cheers -
Rob Lee

OK I have never ordered from LV before. But after reading all of these glowing endorsements, I am heading over to their web site and getting a catalog.
Heads up to Rob (and anyone else in the WW Retail business): I live in Paramus NJ, the biggest retail area in the greater NYC area, located in the heart of Bergen County, NJ - one of the most affluent counties in the country. Once the WWW closes down we will be without any local source for WW tools and equip. Seems like a golden opportunity for someone to come in and pick up where WWW left off.
-Chris

We're wrong about Lee Valley--they're better than we have words to express. From 'pr0n0graphic' catalogs to unbelievable customer service; I wish they sold big stuff too.
I actually no longer bother to do price comparisons if Lee Valley has what I want. I'm willing to pay extra for quality service. And besides, the 'free' shipping from Amazon means I have to wait until there's a shipment headed in my direction for them to toss my package in with, and I'm not that patient normally.