hope he gets 20 years

Man Finds His Stolen Tools For Sale On eBay Carpenter Buys Items, Contacts Police

POSTED: 11:09 pm EST February 28, 2005 UPDATED: 11:54 pm EST February 28, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS -- A carpenter learned that tools stolen from him were being sold on an Internet auction site, prompting detectives to find thousands of dollars worth of allegedly stolen items at an Indianapolis man's garage, police said.

Police said they plan to arrest Christopher Lamont Hayden, 34, on charges of theft, WRTV-TV in Indianapolis reported Monday.

The carpenter, John Guichelaar, said his tools were stolen, and that he spent a week checking local lawn shops for them. Then, he said, he found them on eBay.

WATCH: Man Finds His Missing Tools On Auction Site

"What I ended up doing was actually purchasing some of my tools so I could receive them and prove that they were mine," Guichelaar said.

Guichelaar called police. An investigation led them to Hayden's home, where they served a search warrant Monday.

Police said the garage contained thousands of dollars worth of common and specialty tools that they believe were stolen. Authorities said they believe Hayden sold stolen tools on eBay.

"This is the first case we ever had where stolen property was solicited (on the Internet) and we found it and we had serial numbers to make the identification marks," Indianapolis police Detective Martha Richardson said.

Police said they believe the tools found Monday may have been taken during more than 100 burglaries.

Reply to
not a chance
20 years? Nope, I'd rather consider some creative means of punishment using any power tools he might have taken........

bill otten

Reply to
Bill Otten

Can you say RECIPROCATING SAW?

Bill Otten wrote:

Reply to
John

Just curious, was "local lawn shops" your error or theirs?

BTW, if you think the theft of carpentry tools is a problem, climbing gear is much worse. You have to leave your windows down at some places so they are not broken in.

Reply to
toller

Wonder what percentage of stuff sold on ebay is stolen. I suspect in certain categories like high value and very portable items, the percentage is significant.

Reply to
butch

Belt sander.....80 grit. Slow speed. Start with the finger tips.

Tool theft is the lowest. To deprive a man/woman from the opportunity to provide for his/her family is something only a bottom feeder would do. They don't need help, they need the shit kicked out of them. Every time they touch a tool that isn't theirs..a pain ensues. That's how you teach difficult dogs.

20 years is too expensive. 5 Minutes with Robatoy is cheap.
Reply to
Robatoy

Probably, the local pawn shop always has a fine selection of power tools, quite a few have marks where company imprints have been ground away, all the shop requires is a name and address on their paperwork when they buy stuff in, who's name and address doesn't matter.....

The local police don't even bother with tool thefts anymore, just give you a crime number and a how to claim leaflet.

Reply to
njf>badge

He should have to work for the carpenter for a few weeks, using none of the tools he boosted.

Then spend a few years in the grey bar hotel with Bubba.

Dave

TeamCasa

TeamCasa notes:

He should have to work for the carpenter for a few weeks, using none of the tools he boosted.

Then spend a few years in the grey bar hotel with Bubba.

Something needs to be done to reduce theft, and other crime, problems, but I have to wonder if slapping someone in the crossbar hotel at a cost of 40K or more per year is what is best. I don't know the answer, but we're looking at a new regional jail here for $88.7 million bucks with an ever-growing prison population. Sort of like sending Ms Stewart to WV to spend five months behind bars...ridiculous and ridiculously expensive. Guess who gets to pay? Can you say "You and I"?

Reply to
Charlie Self

Saw Stop Tester Performance Tester. Use his fingers or other parts to verify every Saw Stop actually works. Rick

Reply to
RampRat

Maybe go to the Mariposa County Jail. Tent City - Chain Gangs.

Dave

TeamCasa

TeamCasa notes:

Maybe go to the Mariposa County Jail. Tent City - Chain Gangs.

IIRC, it worked pretty well there. Might do as well in some other areas, too.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Here, the town of Broomfield, CO put up a new jail about 1/2 mile away from a perfectly adequate facility. this facility has buildings with concrete walls over 18" thick.

Would'a been the perfect prision facility.

Of course, it's Rocky Flats and a tad contamintaed - but I like to think of that as simple (a) free heat and (b) a good deterrent.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Tue, Mar 1, 2005, 8:21am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Charlie=A0Self) says: Something needs to be done to reduce theft, and other crime, problems, but I have to wonder if slapping someone in the crossbar hotel at a cost of 40K or more per year is what is best.

Yep, but modified. Make 'em work. Usefrul work, that makes a profit. Pay them. Then charge them what it costs, food, laundry, shelter, health care, clothing, recreation, etc. That might not do it for all of them, but it sure would for some, and wouldn't cost taxpayers to support them.

If they decide they don't want to work, then just beans and rice for food, with supplemental vitamins for health, water to drink, no recreation, etc. One man to a cell, small cells.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Whips, chains, stoning in the town square? Guillotine, stockade, beatings... Clap 'em in irons and brand 'em? Cut off the hands... feet, ...other private parts. Then punish and fine 'em. Finish up with a little time in "the hole" perhaps?

I volunteer the guy who stole my wheelbarrow a few days ago to test some of these ideas.

New houses going up out back -- looks like one of the contractors borrowed it -- permanent like. The jerks!

Needed my wheel barrow the other day to move some wood -- went out back

- and "there it was" -- "gone"!!! Just two sets of foot prints leading to the new construction. Guess they carried it so I couldn't follow the track. Duh! Genius at work. No wonder the new houses are so badly constructed.

Reply to
Will

(c) prevents propagation of the problem through future generations.

Of course the downside is that it's a tad hard on the prison guards.

Mark & Juanita

Tue, Mar 1, 2005, 4:55pm snipped-for-privacy@SPAMsimpering.ca (Will) who copies: J T wrote: Tue, Mar 1, 2005, 8:21am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Charlie Self) says: Something needs to be done to reduce theft, and other crime, problems, but I have to wonder if slapping someone in the crossbar hotel at a cost of 40K or more per year is what is best.

Now, that's confusing. It looks kinda like you're quoting me, and responding to that, but what you're actually replying to was written by Charlie. That's just plain confusing.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

YOUR OWN FAULT.

*Your* article to which he responded lacked the proper quoting indicator. i.e. the 'indenting' with ">" or something similar.

*AS*DOES* the one I'm responding to.

The only indication in your posts where things change from 'quoted' to 'new speech' is the paragraph break. which is replicated exactly in follow-up postings.

The way to remedy the situation should be "obvious".

It may be an inherent 'lack of capability' in WebTV, to do the proper 'quoting' for you, automatically. If so, it is advisable to do it manually.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi