hope chest wood

No sh*t! ... Plan B immediately invokes the much dreaded question: "What's in your wallet?"

Reply to
Swingman

My vote is with George.The walnut interior will look nicer than cedar. I have a cedar closet and if left alone it will loose its scent and need to be sanded to be used for moth protection. I made a Cherry/ Tung oil handcut dovetailed hope chest and used plywood for the floor. I may add a cedar floor but not the walls.

Reply to
henry

Now that you mention it, believe it or not, I screwed up the dovetail on a drawer front: however, all was not lost since the screw up would be hidden when properly assembled.

Epoxy to the rescue.

Mixed up some fairing putty and plugged the screw up proud, then let it cure for a week.

Sanded down, recut dovetail properly, then assembled with epoxy.

Worked like a charm. Nothing visible.

Even a blind hog will find an acorn once and awhile, if he keeps rooting around long enough.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Learn to hand cut the dovetails and you wont need a jig, just a sharp sharp chisel.

Reply to
henry

henry wrote: > Learn to hand cut the dovetails and you wont need a jig, just a sharp > sharp chisel. >

Right after I learn Morse code.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Tell that to the females who actually buy them ... you'll know again how it feels when your vote don't count.

Reply to
Swingman

Walnut really takes the 320 sanding well.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Lee, I guess you'll decide what you have the time and patience for.

However, my experience may be worth reading. I'm not in the same class as the guys that are touting dovetails, but I've not let that stop me. Dovetails were something I had admired for years and was afraid to try. But one day I needed to build a drawer and there wasn't a joint that would do other than a dovetail. So I got some books, and hiked over to Lee Valley to get the right saw and a couple of saddles and set down to do some practicing.

The first joint was pathetic, the second not much better. I think it was the 5th that made me stop and say "holy shit, I think I'm on to something here".

The tenth joint was the drawer. I installed it in the cabinet and was pretty damned pleased with myself. I moved on up to dovetail bits for the router, and I feel confident that I could make them whenever I want to now.

That whole process took a couple of evenings. Maybe three. Looking back, it was a lot simpler than I'd thought it would be.

Food for thought.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus