hope chest wood

Page 2 of 2
Never did them and I don't think I'll start now. Later on something that I can heat the shop with if it turns out real bad. :)

Lee wrote:
> Never did them and I don't think I'll start now. Later on something that I > can heat the shop with if it turns out real bad. :)
Cutting dovetails is NBD, if you are patient and keep your wits about you.
The biggest part of the task is twofold:
1) Making sure the jig is set up properly.
Lots of scrap pieces of wood to make test cuts are a must.
When you get the jig adjusted, make a sample set for each corner that is clearly marked with a felt pen. I use a lot of 1/2" Birch ply scrap for this task.
2) Making sure the parts to be cut are positioned in the jig correctly.
3) Reread the instructions before every cut to confirm, before cutting.
Just went thru the above to cut 36 dovetailed corners for a current project.
Not difficult, just demanding that you do it right.
It is strictly a plan "A" job, there is no plan "B".
Lew
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

No sh*t! ... Plan B immediately invokes the much dreaded question: "What's in your wallet?"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07
Swingman wrote:
> No sh*t! ... Plan B immediately invokes the much dreaded question: "What's > in your wallet?" >
Now that you mention it, believe it or not, I screwed up the dovetail on a drawer front: however, all was not lost since the screw up would be hidden when properly assembled.
Epoxy to the rescue.
Mixed up some fairing putty and plugged the screw up proud, then let it cure for a week.
Sanded down, recut dovetail properly, then assembled with epoxy.
Worked like a charm. Nothing visible.
Even a blind hog will find an acorn once and awhile, if he keeps rooting around long enough.
Lew
Lee wrote:

Lee, I guess you'll decide what you have the time and patience for.
However, my experience may be worth reading. I'm not in the same class as the guys that are touting dovetails, but I've not let that stop me. Dovetails were something I had admired for years and was afraid to try. But one day I needed to build a drawer and there wasn't a joint that would do other than a dovetail. So I got some books, and hiked over to Lee Valley to get the right saw and a couple of saddles and set down to do some practicing.
The first joint was pathetic, the second not much better. I think it was the 5th that made me stop and say "holy shit, I think I'm on to something here".
The tenth joint was the drawer. I installed it in the cabinet and was pretty damned pleased with myself. I moved on up to dovetail bits for the router, and I feel confident that I could make them whenever I want to now.
That whole process took a couple of evenings. Maybe three. Looking back, it was a lot simpler than I'd thought it would be.
Food for thought.
Tanus
--
This is not really a sig.

I love to work with walnut, it's easy to work, and smoothes up great
If you can find some with good contrast between heart and sapwood, usually available only in air dried stuff you can do stunning things.
I found that turned walnut projects seem to benefit from a first coat of walnut stained oil (Watco) to bring out more color.
Try a sample and see.
Negatives--- walnut can be irritating, avoid its dust. Its sawdust kills plants, don't use it for mulch on anything you want to live.
Old Guy

Learn to hand cut the dovetails and you wont need a jig, just a sharp sharp chisel.
henry wrote: > Learn to hand cut the dovetails and you wont need a jig, just a sharp > sharp chisel. >
Right after I learn Morse code.
Lew