hook and loop sanders

Page 1 of 2
What do you pros use to clean the pad on your hook and loop sander? Mine's coated with dust and won't hold the paper any more. Alcohol?
TIA RJ
rj wrote:

Is that actually your real problem? I used too much presure and overheated the pad. The hooks had lost the ability to grab.

3
I think the "pro's" use PSA paper. Cheaper. At least that is what I use.

I hate it when you degrade me Leon <smile> SH - The "I admit using H&L" (amatuer) woodworker

Not meaning to degrade or put down Slowhand. ;~) If you never changed grits on a sander you would probably switch to PSA also. It makes good sense to use H&L if you do not wear the paper out before changing grits.

I used to use psa. I do change grits alot and that is precisely the reason I changed to H&L. Works for me! Although I've never had a pad wear out before the sander did. <shrug> SH

I have had the PC right angle ROS since 1989 and am on my 3rd PSA pad.

My 1992 dewalt 5" ros motor died about 5 mos ago. Same h&l pad. SH

Ah! No wonder I suck at this... (H&L here!)

Nooooooo... That is not the reason..... PSA simply is cheaper. Especially if you never change grits and or go through several pieces of one grit before changing grits. My ROS sees 150 grit 99% of the time and my SpeedBloc only sees 180 grit 99% of the time.
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 02:29:39 GMT, "Leon"

You know, you've got me thinking.
5" ROS's are cheap enough to dedicate to 2-3 grits. The heavy stuff gets belt sanded or planed. I usually always use my finish sander with the same grit.
Hmmmmm...
Thanks, Leon!
Barry

That Leon is a smart fella...
If you can justify more than 3 routers, or 5 handplanes, or two dovetail saws, why would 3 ROS be a stretch?
Of course, you'd have to be either in business, or hopelessly addicted.
Patriarch, seemingly the latter...

Aw..Shucks.... LOL

I am on the first and probably on the second. Seriously though H&L is a great alternative when you need to chang grits before the paper is worn out. I personally may go through 8 or 10 pieces of the same grit paper on my ROS before switching to my finish sander that uses the same grit all the time and I may go through 8 or 9 pieces of the same grit at one time while sanding on a project.

if you think about it 3 ROS's isn't that much money, get Riobi's that have been refurbished, for $20 each who cares if it only lasts a year, I've had mine for 3 years now, you could get 4 for less then the Dewalt model
patriarch wrote:

Try using some compressed air to get the worst of it off, then pick at it with gaffers tape or similar. I wouldn't use any solvents on the pad.

An old toothbrush helps get the stuff out.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
rj wrote:

I hook mine up to the shop vac while running (my current dust collector) and when I change pads I put the brush end on the shopvac and clean the hook and loop pad.
The pad can be replaced cheaply if it's just worn out. Most borg will have a replacement pad (or at least a universal pad) for most sanders.

Thanks for all the suggestions, (it's my wife's sander - a B&D Mouse). I'll try 'em all.
RJ
Hope she has better luck with it than I did. Burned the motor out in just over a year, and there is no replacement motor available from B & D!.

I'll