Hoo Ha - Lost Treasure Found, And More

Page 3 of 3

"J T" wrote in message

M79 <<
LOL ... I've got a couple of those somewhere also. While it wasn't for inspection, the M79, with buckshot round, was my weapon of choice in the boonies. You could wear it under your arm commando style, and no matter which way you were facing, it was too.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 18:57:44 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Show them almost any book about Nam.. there's at least one reference to the "blooper" or "blooper guy" in most of them...
Same goes for mortars... people think that they explode out of the tube AND when they hit... that would be a neat trick..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 9:59am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net (macdavis) doth remindeth me: <snip> Same goes for mortars... people think that they explode out ofthe tube AND when they hit... that would be a neat trick.
Oh, I don't know. LOL I was driving past an infantry outpst somewhere between Anh Khe and Pleiku, when a 4.2" went off. Startled the Hell out of me, and I proceeded to slam on the brakes. My boss, very patronizingly says, "Don't worry, they're not shooting at us". I just looked at him, and said, "I 'know' that, but I want to see where' they're shooting before I go further". Took a few seconds for it to sink in for him, and by that time the round had hit, a mile or so, to our left. We then, speedily, went on. LMAO
Another time, we had radio traffic saying a bridge outpost was being hit a mile or so down the road from us - rockets, small arms, mortars. I wasn't driving this time. We pulled over in a pump station to wait it all out. Then the LTC got antsy, probably with visitions of a Meal of Honor, or at least a Silver Star, and told the driver to proceed. All this with the bridge still under attack. And, me in the back, saying the standard mantra to the War Gods, "Oh, shit, this idiot's gonna get me killed". "Oh, shit, this idiot's gonna get me killed". "Oh, shit, this idiot's gonna get me killed". Luckily the driver wasn't in any great hurry, the LTC didn't get on him to go faster, and it was all over before we got. Fortunately, the War Gods answered my praryer. LMAO May the Gods protect us from the Custers in our lives.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:37:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

I suspect that those who survived are the ones who retired and now are those who slow down and stop while in the fast lane to observe the accident on the oncoming side of the road.
Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 2:23pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark&Juanita) apparently has been smoking his sawdust again, and says: I suspect that those who survived are the ones who retired and now are those who slow down and stop while in the fast lane to observe the accident on the oncoming side of the road.
And, what's the Hell that supposed to mean? You're not making any sense at all, with some statement like that.
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:44:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Well, since you cut out the context around it, no wonder you don't know what I was saying.
My point was, those emulators of Custer who survived their self-destructive behavior in combat situations probably wound up retiring, mustering out, and now engage in equally self-destructive and dangerous to others behaviors in civilian life. One of those behaviors being rubbernecking activities in places that don't affect them while, in so doing, both annoying those around them and endangering others by creating dangerous situations in areas where they should be paying attention.
HTH

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 9:20pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark&Juanita) doth sayeth: Well, since you cut out the context around it, no wonder you don't know what I was saying. My point was, those emulators of Custer who survived their self-destructive behavior in combat situations probably wound up retiring, mustering out, and now engage in equally self-destructive and dangerous to others behaviors in civilian life. One of those behaviors being rubbernecking activities in places that don't affect them while, in so doing, both annoying those around them and endangering others by creating dangerous situations in areas where they should be paying attention.
I consider "myself" a survivor. Since you made no mention of "Custer" types, I wouldn't have understood what you meant, no matter what I did, or didn't, cut out. I don't consider "Custer" types self-destructive at all, but do consider them a huge danger to those they have command over. Unfortunately, when they do go, they tend to take a lot of people with them.
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:32:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

damn.. the macho pictures... borrow everyone's shit, hang it on your 150 pound teenage body and take the picture before you collaspe..lol
I have one that I look about 12 years old in... m-60 in assault belt, several belts of ammo, etc... shit, was I really ever that dumb? yep.. must have been..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 9:50am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net (macdavis) cracks me up: damn.. the macho pictures... borrow everyone's shit, hang it on your 150 pound teenage body and take the picture before you collaspe..lol I have one that I look about 12 years old in... m-60 in assault belt, several belts of ammo, etc... shit, was I really ever that dumb? yep.. must have been..
LMAO Not exactly. I was 26-27 at the time, a SSG, a little more than 150, but sill under 200, and that was pretty standard for me, except most of the time I couldn't get the M79.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax

I did all ours, then gave a disk to each kid. Did mom and dad's and sent to my siblings. The old Kodak contact prints (Velox paper) don't appear to have faded too badly.
Noticed dad carried a Thompson on his way through France. Scary.
"J T" wrote in message

I was authorized - ate little else but 'lurps' for 7 months ... it was either that or dog. (Remembering how getting down to "1 and a wakeup" was the high point/main goal of your life)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.
"J T" wrote in message

The ARVN Ranger unit I FO'ed for found it easier to have their dinner come when whistled ... besides, cats won't follow you around.

We used those as targets to test our latest firing parameters.

I didn't want to, but it was apparent the first time, even to a wooddorker, why all those dogs we left with didn't come back with us .... they were part and parcel of an elegant solution to the refrigeration problem inherent in feeding 400 troops for 30 days.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05