Hoo Ha - Lost Treasure Found, And More

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 10:01am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net (mac=A0davis) is over his memory loss: (damn.. words that I haven't thought about in about in over 35 years come back way to easy)

Words like that pop up in my speech every once in awhile. Generally to the confusion of whoever hears them. Kinda amazing tho, how a word or two brings back stuff you lived with every day, but haven't thought about in years. I think maybe because the time'b been spent with people who never went thru any of it, and wouldn't understand. I think it's good to occassionaly remember those things - some because they were good - and some because they were bad, but are over.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 7:26am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) sagely states: I was aware that there were "services" that would do this for a fee, but that fee has always appeared a bit steep for what I wanted to do ... starting to think it may be actually be a bargain.

I'm going that route, getting someone else to do it. For me, it'll be a one-time shot, getting negatives made from slides, then prints made. I don't see any reason to sink money into equipment I'd only use once.

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

I suspect that those who survived are the ones who retired and now are those who slow down and stop while in the fast lane to observe the accident on the oncoming side of the road.

Mark & Juanita

Depends on the cost of the gear. I've found a couple really cheap slide duplicators/copiers on Ebay, so I stuck a bid in on one. I've got way too many slides around here to duplicate to even think I'm going to do them all, not to mention a pee pot full of black and white negs, but I can pick and choose the best and see what happens, and the gear shouldn't cost me more than $35 or so, unless bidding stalls at its present point, when cost would be 10 bucks.

It does help to have studio flash units (though other lights work just as well with digital cameras), and a DSLR.

Reply to
Charles Self

I haven't looked at for a number of years, but we were appproached a number of years ago by a local fellow who had just bought the (then new) Kodak Photo CD setup. He offered to scan our photo orchaive of a period of a couple of years at a cost of between $1 and $1.50 per image.

Of course, he was looking at 10s of thousands of pics, negs and slides with a very open timeframe.

We sent some negs out for scanning in November when our big scanner went down, and paid (IIRC) $8.50 CDN each.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Ouch! ... thought I saw someone offering to do slides for .12 cents each recently. That wouldn't be too bad as I only have a couple of thousand or so, but after what I am reading here, I'm starting to suspect the quality at that price.

Reply to
Swingman

I sure would...

In order of quality and cost:

Oil-mount on drum scanner (IOW, carrier is torn open, transparency is removed)

Dedicated slide scanner

Combo slide/neg scanner

Desktop scanner with light hood and slide "adapter". djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 2:23pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark=A0&=A0Juanita) apparently has been smoking his sawdust again, and says: =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0I suspect that those who survived are the ones who retired and now are those who slow down and stop while in the fast lane to observe the accident on the oncoming side of the road.

And, what's the Hell that supposed to mean? You're not making any sense at all, with some statement like that.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 9:24pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Charles=A0Self) says: Depends on the cost of the gear.

I ran acoss some of my old camera gear in the back room. Still need to go thru it. But, I may just already have a slide duplicatorcopier. Even so, I've got a LOT of slides, and don't really think I want to mess with it. I think it probably won't wind up costing so much more for someone to do it for me, and I won't be months in getting it done. Unless it's gonna be really expensive, I think I'll just pay.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

Well, since you cut out the context around it, no wonder you don't know what I was saying.

My point was, those emulators of Custer who survived their self-destructive behavior in combat situations probably wound up retiring, mustering out, and now engage in equally self-destructive and dangerous to others behaviors in civilian life. One of those behaviors being rubbernecking activities in places that don't affect them while, in so doing, both annoying those around them and endangering others by creating dangerous situations in areas where they should be paying attention.

HTH

Mark & Juanita

I was authorized - ate little else but 'lurps' for 7 months ... it was either that or dog. (Remembering how getting down to "1 and a wakeup" was the high point/main goal of your life)

Reply to
Swingman

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 9:20pm (EST-2) snipped-for-privacy@hadenough.com (Mark=A0&=A0Juanita) doth sayeth: =A0=A0=A0=A0Well, since you cut out the context around it, no wonder you don't know what I was saying. =A0=A0=A0=A0My point was, those emulators of Custer who survived their self-destructive behavior in combat situations probably wound up retiring, mustering out, and now engage in equally self-destructive and dangerous to others behaviors in civilian life. One of those behaviors being rubbernecking activities in places that don't affect them while, in so doing, both annoying those around them and endangering others by creating dangerous situations in areas where they should be paying attention.

I consider "myself" a survivor. Since you made no mention of "Custer" types, I wouldn't have understood what you meant, no matter what I did, or didn't, cut out. I don't consider "Custer" types self-destructive at all, but do consider them a huge danger to those they have command over. Unfortunately, when they do go, they tend to take a lot of people with them.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 6:29am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth recall: I was authorized - ate little else but 'lurps' for 7 months ... it was either that or dog. (Remembering how getting down to "1 and a wakeup" was the high point/main goal of your life)

Thought it was Korea where they ate dogs, and cats in Nam. No water buffalo?

I don't know if I've ever eaten dog. I learned long ago, don't ask what you're eating - because you may not want to know.

Ah yes. One and a wakeup. Haven't thought of that one for many years. That's "definitely" one of those, "You had to be there", things. What a warm fuzzy feeling that was. Damn, thinking of that makes me still feel good. LMAO

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

The ARVN Ranger unit I FO'ed for found it easier to have their dinner come when whistled ... besides, cats won't follow you around.

We used those as targets to test our latest firing parameters.

I didn't want to, but it was apparent the first time, even to a wooddorker, why all those dogs we left with didn't come back with us .... they were part and parcel of an elegant solution to the refrigeration problem inherent in feeding 400 troops for 30 days.

Reply to
Swingman

Mon, Jan 16, 2006, 11:42am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) sayeth: We used those as targets to test our latest firing parameters.

If you didn't retrieve any, you missed out on some good eats. Same as regular beef, to my taste, just a tad coarser.

I think I ate baby mice wrapped in dough once, so it wouldn't be much of a big deal, eating dog.