Hoo Ha - Lost Treasure Found, And More

Page 2 of 3

I haven't looked at for a number of years, but we were appproached a number of years ago by a local fellow who had just bought the (then new) Kodak Photo CD setup. He offered to scan our photo orchaive of a period of a couple of years at a cost of between $1 and $1.50 per image.
Of course, he was looking at 10s of thousands of pics, negs and slides with a very open timeframe.
We sent some negs out for scanning in November when our big scanner went down, and paid (IIRC) $8.50 CDN each.
djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message

Ouch! ... thought I saw someone offering to do slides for .12 cents each recently. That wouldn't be too bad as I only have a couple of thousand or so, but after what I am reading here, I'm starting to suspect the quality at that price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I sure would...
In order of quality and cost:
Oil-mount on drum scanner (IOW, carrier is torn open, transparency is removed)
Dedicated slide scanner
Combo slide/neg scanner
Desktop scanner with light hood and slide "adapter". djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
[...snip...]

I have a scanner that has a holder for negatives and slides, and backlights them during scanning. That said, I think for "good quality" you might also want a scanner with a high optical resolution, which mine does not. The lower resolution limits the size you can blow the 35mm image up to before the pixels are obvious.

Swingman wrote:

I got a Nikon Coolscan II off eBay for about $50 (and a new SCSI card to connect it for about $50 more); it's a dedicated slide scanner, and does a _much_ better job of scanning than a flatbed scanner with a slide adapter will do.
(Computers are finally getting to the point that woodworking tools are, where it's better and cheaper to get a used top-of-the-line model from a few years ago than it is to get something new, unless you really need to have the fastest and flashiest.)
Also, the people over at the comp.scanners newsgroup are pretty good with advice (even for newbies) -- if you've got tons of slides, it may be worth paying a fair bit more and getting something with an autofeeder, and they're probably the people who'd know which autofeeders work and which are junk.
- Brooks

I just got this Canon scanner over the holidays:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)37267460/sr=8-1/ref=pd _bbs_1/104-7906515-2766342?nP7846&s=electronics&v=glance
I was not expecting much in the way of slide/negative scanning, but I was wrong. For about $130, this is a pretty amazing scanner. It will do mounted 35mm, 4 at a time and automatically save each as a separate file. It will also do negs and 120 (2 1/4 x 2 1/4) size (not mounted tho). It has a built in light source in the lid. You place the slides in the provided holders to scan. Nice resolution too.
Of course it does a great job with regular scanning too. Comes with some nice software, including Photoshop Elements which would cost about $75 by itself IIRC.
It is not a fax machine, but does have a one button copy function where it will copy to the printer directly. Nice for occasional copies.
A dedicated slide scanner would be better, but I was impressed by this scanner.
Scanning slides I took from the 60's (like everyone else!).
Lou
Sounds like good advice from both you guys ... thanks!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I'm told that slides and negatives are best done on a high res drum scanner, but from what I've seen, prices for decent ones start at about a grand.
I have what is now an old Epson here that came with a slide/neg scanning set up. It's fairly high res and will do more than one at a time (IIRC, about 4), with halfway decent results.
I think the best way is one of the slide duplicators that you find on Ebay. Most seem to run about $65-$80, attach to the front of the camera lens, and let you adjust, fiddle and otherwise play with the various camera settings and lighting schemes until you get pretty much what you want, at which point you just run a bunch through. If I didn't have studio flash, I'd use a halogen 250 watt light, adjust white balance and try it. I'd also shoot in RAW format if the camera had it, because that makes things much more easily adjusted, but RAW is a feature of DSLRs and higher end prosumer cameras mostly, and requires special readers for many programs.

Argh, choke, gasp. I just checked and the cheapest drum scanner at B&H Photo is $4995. A bit of my class. Good film scanners can be had for under $300.
In article

It depends on what you want in scan quality. To reproduce at National Geo quality without having to much in the way of correction in PShop, you want drum scan with an operator who know what they're doing.
If you're willing to settle for a mediocre to decent scan that will require significant effort to get to a quality level that can be published in a magazine with any quality standards whatsoever, the sub-$300 scanners are for you.
djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:38:58 GMT, "Charles Self"

About 9 years ago, we had an issue at work that required us to get 35 mm film processed to negatives and then generate the needed output from the negatives ourselves. I found and rented a Kodak scanner that could scan either slides or negatives (and process the negatives electronically to correct color) into digital format. I don't recall the Kodak model right now, I'm sure it's been superseded by at least 5 generations of improvement by now anyway. The OP might check various local high-end digital photo suppliers to determine whether they have something like that available for rental. Might be a good way to get to use a high-quality unit without having to buy it.
Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 1:56pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (CharlesSelf) doth writeth: If I remember right, JOAT doesn't have a computer, but he can, if he wants to spend the money, get a camera store to scan them in. Expensive, though. With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and an old computer. <snip>
Yep, computer nope. But, if it comes down to that, the older son has one. Not sure just how I'll go about it, but I'm thinking get negatives made, and then prints. Negatives should keep forever, same with the prints. I'll be doing a bit of checking, then decide which way I'll do it.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:37:12 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Hey bro... if you have a Kinko's or something like it nearby, they can do the job fairly inexpensively.. I had some done a few years ago the they fed them into a slide scanner a stack at a time and got jpg files on a cd out the other end.. pretty trick setup..
Mac... remembering the crazy lady he lived with that burned over 1,000 slides of Nam..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 9:47am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net (macdavis) doth suggest: Hey bro... if you have a Kinko's or something like it nearby, they can do the job fairly inexpensively.. I had some done a few years ago the they fed them into a slide scanner a stack at a time and got jpg files on a cd out the other end.. pretty trick setup.. Mac... remembering the crazy lady he lived with that burned over 1,000 slides of Nam..
Hah, yeah, Raleigh's got one or two. I'll have to give 'em a call, and see what they can do for me. Thanks.
I think I'd cry if someone had done that to me.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
(mac davis) doth suggest: Hey bro... if you have a Kinko's or something like it nearby, they can do the job fairly inexpensively.. I had some done a few years ago the they fed them into a slide scanner a stack at a time and got jpg files on a cd out the other end.. pretty trick setup.. Mac... remembering the crazy lady he lived with that burned over 1,000 slides of Nam..
Hah, yeah, Raleigh's got one or two. I'll have to give 'em a call, and see what they can do for me. Thanks.
I think I'd cry if someone had done that to me.
Life did that to me. I had a fire in '66, lost everything, no insurance. Agian, in '84--I had bought a new camera for work instead of paying the frigging insurance. '03, we had a basement fire, insured this time, but the stuff lost made me gag emotionally.
I wonder if I spent some time putting together an article on the most effective/cheapest ways of scanning slides and stuck it on either my blog or website it would be of interest? I've got some of the gear, some is too expensive to add to what I have, but some would be neat to have. It might take a few weeks to do (more like 10-12, because I'm literally up to my ears right now), but if it has some value for enough others, it would be worth posting, and it might just be fun to do. I've got some old slides that made it through the fire, so maybe an instruction on clean-up and remounting might help, too.
Jeez, that's two months' work there. I'll put it up piecemeal, though.
Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 12:50am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (CharlesSelf) sends the bad news: Life did that to me. I had a fire in '66, lost everything, no insurance. Agian, in '84--I had bought a new camera for work instead of paying the frigging insurance. '03, we had a basement fire, insured this time, but the stuff lost made me gag emotionally. <snip>
Yeah, that would be bad. But, emotionally, I'd prefer that over somone destroying them deliberately.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax

Charlie,
Yes, please do this as you have time ...
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:02:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

that was one of the options... and since I don't ever want to hit a woman, the best action at the time was to "un-ass the area and drive on".. (damn.. words that I haven't thought about in about in over 35 years come back way to easy)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 10:01am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@splinters.comcast.net (macdavis) is over his memory loss: <snip> (damn.. words that I haven't thought about in about in over 35 years come back way to easy)
Words like that pop up in my speech every once in awhile. Generally to the confusion of whoever hears them. Kinda amazing tho, how a word or two brings back stuff you lived with every day, but haven't thought about in years. I think maybe because the time'b been spent with people who never went thru any of it, and wouldn't understand. I think it's good to occassionaly remember those things - some because they were good - and some because they were bad, but are over.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
Sat, Jan 14, 2006, 7:46am snipped-for-privacy@netcommander.com (GeraldRoss) doth sayeth: I finally dug out all my pictures and slides and scanned them. Quite a production, but now the whole batch will fit on a single DVD disk, or a couple of CD's. Gave copies to the kids and can print out what I want to hang. And digital pictures won't fade.
I'm gonna go thru mine and get negatives made, prints of some, then put 'em in a picture book. I prefer that to the hassle of projecting, or whatever. I've got one of me in there somewhere that I may just make a large poster of. LMAO It's me, ready to go on an inspection trip - obligatory handlebar moustache, flak vest, .45, not sure if I had the M79 and M14 in the picture or not. I've been told I looked like a walking APC. LOL Great times with great guys. I'm too old for that crap anymore.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax