Hoo Ha - Lost Treasure Found, And More

Page 1 of 3

Was in the back room tonight. Really have GOT to get back there more. Anyway, retieving my Nam slides to see if they're still viewable - sotored in those plastic boxes, used on a B&H lide projector. I'd been worried they were bac, because I'd found some that were totally blank - apprently caused by the plastic outgassing, so I was worried. But, so far, they're all good. However, I'm still going to store them elsewhere, and get prints made of them all. And, no, no pictures of bodies. I don't do things like that.
And, under the slide boxes, lo and behold. A book I'd been trying to find for several years. It's got plans for how to make a child's rocking horse. A rocking hourse you say? So what? Well, the what is, it show how to make a hollow-body carousel type rocking horse - the real deal. The only parts you actually need to carve are the eyes, ears, and nose. This one is'n't painted like a carousel horse, but that would be easy enough if that's what you wanted. It's made with poplar, with a walnut stain. Looks like something that'd sell in a place like New Yawk City, or Hollywood, for about a gazillion bucks. It's a minor gloat that I bought the book in the first place, finally found it again, and hadn't gotten rid of it somewhere along the line.
It's been a bit hard getting in and out of there for awhile, because the younger kid has stuff a bunch of junk in there, and generally made a large mess. I've been tossing trash lately tho, so I can a least get in. Glad too. I ran across my N guage setup, that I 'll dig out as soon as I get something made to set it up on. Plus theres a batch of woodworking books, including some on boatbuilding, and misc other books, I'd forgotten even having. I'ts great to save stuff.
If you want to try to find a copy, it's in the Popular Science Woodworking Proujects, 1986 Yearbook. It may be out of print now. It's got some pretty damn neat stuff in there.
I could probably be convinced to sell my copy, "after" I copiy the rocking horse plans, of course. $30, and I pay postage. If you're serious,you can e-mail me. First come, first served.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
J T wrote:

I finally dug out all my pictures and slides and scanned them. Quite a production, but now the whole batch will fit on a single DVD disk, or a couple of CD's. Gave copies to the kids and can print out what I want to hang. And digital pictures won't fade.
Snippers

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

If I remember right, JOAT doesn't have a computer, but he can, if he wants to spend the money, get a camera store to scan them in. Expensive, though. With more than a few boxes of slides, it's cheaper to buy a scanner and an old computer.
A note on CDs/DVDSs: lots of chatter right now about the lack of durability of those media for long term storage. I think it's mostly posturing, but will plan to re-do those I want to really keep about once a decade. It's easy enough to copy either one, and the cost is now low.
"Charles Self" wrote in message

What's the best way to go about scanning those old 35mm slides? I've got tons of them from 40 years ago I'd like to archive.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I've got an Epson Stylus PHOTO RX600, one of those all-in-one printer, copier, scanner, fax, [coffee maker, and electric shaver]. It does a passable job on scans and I can trick them out somewhat with PhotoShop. But, certainly there are more task-specific scanners that might do a more professional job. Get you some canned air though and remove as much of the 40 years of dust as you can (that's where the PhotoShop comes in handy).
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

"New Wave Dave" wrote in message

Howdy Dave,
Color me obtuse, but I have a similar HP can-opener and I am still trying to visualize putting one or more of these small, cardboard framed slides on the scanning bed and coming out with a usable sized picture/jpg that would be high enough resolution to view/print?
It could be because I have never attempted doing it, but what am I missing?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

He didn't say he was enlarging pictures. Scan at 300 dpi and print same size as original and just about any scanner should do a good job. Scan at 300 dpi and a 3x5 will require 900 pixels by 1500 pixels to display on a screen.
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 00:04:16 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"

He also didn't say he was scanning *pictures*, but was wanting to scan in 35 mm slides (transparencies).

If the only thing one wants is 35 mm thumbnails, that might work.

Again, he's not scanning in 3x5 pictures, but 35 mm slides. Totally different issue.

Yup.
A good slide/neg scanner will be at 4000 pixels per inch res (for a desktop model).
The Nikon Coolscan 9000 is 4000x4000 optical res, 48-bit color depth, firewire, and just under $2000.
The Konica Minolta Dimage 5400 II claims 5400x5400, 16 bit, USB for $575.
If I was seriously looking for a slide scanner I'd lean to the Nikon for the color depth and firewire.
djb
--
The moral difference between a soldier and a civilian is that the soldier
accepts personal responsibility for the safety of the body politic of which he
Mark & Juanita wrote:

You are right but it depends on who "he" is; I missed the slides. The who, by the way, that I was replying to is Gerald Ross, but probably appeared to be Swingman. Get's complicated when the thread keeps evolving and being hijacked.
"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message

Actually, you replied to my post directly, as the thread, and your quoting, clearly shows ... and the sub-thread I started was clearly marked "OT" to differentiate it from the original thread, which also happened to be about "slides".
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

Actually mine has a backlit slide holder, but I scan at 400 dpi and get pretty good pictures.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The backlighting is imperative. It can be cobbled up on a non-backlit scanner, but it's easier to get one that is built right. Even then, it isn't perfect. Perfection in this kind of thing seems to be about $550, plus six months' practice.

There is a light above the scanning bed, too, and the slides fit into a frame that positions them properly, but there is still NO way to adjust for possible film warp over the years until you get to a film scanner.
"Charles Self" wrote in message

trying
be
for
Finally, some useful information!
Although I have never tried it, I couldn't imagine that simply laying 35mm slides on the type of flatbed scanner under discussion would be the complete process to obtain something useful.
I was aware that there were "services" that would do this for a fee, but that fee has always appeared a bit steep for what I wanted to do ... starting to think it may be actually be a bargain.
Thanks for the insight.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

Glad it helped. It is costly to hire it done. In fact, at today's prices, if you have some spare time and loose change, you can do it yourself at a far lower cost, even if you have to buy a new scanner. But, as I noted, I am interested in trying the cheap front lens element digital copiers to see how they do. My basic problem is having to wait for cash flow in to equal lens buying cash flow out. I have been a wee bit over-enthusiastic about buying lenses for the Pentax in the past six weeks or so (not a lens a week, but four in that period).

http://www.photo.net There is a scanner primer under the EQUIPMENT menu. I would post the complete link if they weren't "down" for maintenance this morning.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 7:26am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) sagely states: <snip> I was aware that there were "services" that would do this for a fee, but that fee has always appeared a bit steep for what I wanted to do ... starting to think it may be actually be a bargain. <snip>
I'm going that route, getting someone else to do it. For me, it'll be a one-time shot, getting negatives made from slides, then prints made. I don't see any reason to sink money into equipment I'd only use once.
JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"? - Granny Weatherwax
(Swingman) sagely

Depends on the cost of the gear. I've found a couple really cheap slide duplicators/copiers on Ebay, so I stuck a bid in on one. I've got way too many slides around here to duplicate to even think I'm going to do them all, not to mention a pee pot full of black and white negs, but I can pick and choose the best and see what happens, and the gear shouldn't cost me more than $35 or so, unless bidding stalls at its present point, when cost would be 10 bucks.
It does help to have studio flash units (though other lights work just as well with digital cameras), and a DSLR.
Sun, Jan 15, 2006, 9:24pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (CharlesSelf) says: Depends on the cost of the gear. <snip>
I ran acoss some of my old camera gear in the back room. Still need to go thru it. But, I may just already have a slide duplicatorcopier. Even so, I've got a LOT of slides, and don't really think I want to mess with it. I think it probably won't wind up costing so much more for someone to do it for me, and I won't be months in getting it done. Unless it's gonna be really expensive, I think I'll just pay.
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.