Homemade Lathe

Page 2 of 2

Thanks for all the replies. The submaine will be used as a plug from which I'll pull a fibreglass hull. Obviously becuase of this the wood doesn't have to be very hard wearing and will only be used for a short time. I thinking about glueing multiple strips (2" x 1" etc) together then turning that. The hull will have to be a solid.
The submarine will be a R/c Akula class if anyone is interested. The main shape of the hull is a teardrop shape, althought it does have a slightly flat deck.
I thought about making it in multiple sections, but wondered how easy it would be to get the all the same size.
With it being a oneoff, I don't really want to spend lots of money making it. If I was to make my own, what sort of motor am I looking at needing, and at what rpm will it have to turn?
Michael
Michael wrote:

Carve it from blue or pink foam, fiberglass it, and use solvent to melt out the foam. This is also the way many flying model jets are built.
FWIW, I live 40 minutes from Electric Boat, fly my little airplane over it, in and out of Groton airport, and subs don't look round. I've seen a bunch of them in sections and in drydock, and they all look oval shaped to me. <G>
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

I suspect that a second hull is built on the outside of the pressure hull. The outer hull would be shaped for purposes of minimizing drag and maximizing roll stability.
--

FF

Paper mache?
On 4 Mar 2006 14:56:41 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@charm.net"

That's actually got a lot in common with fiberglassing. Both involve laying a substrate on a form and gluing it.
One uses paper and paste, the other uses fiberglass cloth and thin, slow set epoxy.

Micheal, is the group "The Sub Committee" still around? If so they could point you to people that have done this. I have a co-worker that (used) to build Subs and even powered torpedoes (which he used to sell). I'd point you at him, but he would get grumpy with both of us. I looked at adding this to my hobbies years ago, and had an attack of sanity instead.
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

Ralph,
Yes, they're still around and I visit there boards frequently (http://www.subcommittee.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi ). Some germans are building a BELUGA CLASS sub using wood (end bits only though) and a lathe (http://projekt1710.borg-core.com/index_e.asp ), however my hull is just too big to fit on any of my lathes, so wondered about making my own. As this is much larger than anyone else has attempted (excluding military research vessels) I'm in a bit of a league of my own..
Michael
Probably many of you have already stumbled across this already, but too much neat stuff to not share. Enjoy!
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/ByType-Detail.asp?Type=8