Homemade feed table for planer

Spotted this idea on Craigslist.
Perhaps old hat to some, but I thought it was a clever idea - and easy to make. Looks like you sacrifice about 1" in the maximum thickness of the board you want to plane, but, really, how often do you plane a 17" thick piece of lumber?
One 2x4' hunk of melamine-covered board from the box store and you're good to go.
http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/2298712220.html

Not to jump on your parade, or whatever the saying is. But I built something like that about 15 years ago. Also have the same Delta planer. Mine is two sheets of particleboard laminated together. Piece of melamine glued to the top. Side guides are only where the planer is, not full length. And guides are only 1/4" thick plywood to maximize width. Not the 3/4" thick guides used on this one. Mine is about 4 feet long. Has legs on either end so it sits on the planer bed in the middle and the legs on either end. Whole thing is mounted on a big cabinet. It does reduce snipe. Also good for planing short pieces because they stay on the board instead of falling on the floor. You can run 3-4 or so short pieces back to back in one continous line and not have to catch every piece coming out. They stay on the board. I am pretty sure I got the idea from some magazine or book. This was before the internet. I doubt I thought it up on my own. So the idea for this has been around for awhile.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Right. I'm sure this guy - and probably you - were not pioneers.
As we've seen on this group, though, what is old to many is new to a few.