Homemade dust collector

If anyone is interested in looking, I made my own shop dust collector this year. It was made mainly with surplus materials I had sitting around - the benifit of never throwing anything away. The fan unit came from an old industrial furnace. The unit has a 2 stage chip seperator, a bag filter, and uses furnace filters for the final filter stage. You can see details on my web site:

There are pictures of the unit and even a file of the initial CAD drawing plan with dimensions. I am quite happy with the unit. It is very quiet and does a great job at removing dust from my lathe, belt sander, and other shop tools. Enjoy, Brad HardingPens.com

Reply to
Brad

I checked out your dust collector. I have been using a similar unit for about 20 years. Mine was derived from plans published in two different magazines years ago, possibly Popular Mechanics and Mechanics Illustrated. These were the Wood Working magazines as well as other topics of the era. Mine is belt driven and I sped it up above normal speed. As you said, it works well. Many have said it is not possible to get enough CFM with a squirrel cage blower to use as dust collector. Undoubtedly, the newer impeller models do a much better job. I have considered the build it yourself version of these from Wood Magazine of 10 years or so ago. When I built mine, home dust collector units were virtually unheard of. Mine has a

4" Inlet and 4" Outlet. I use 4" plastic thin wall drain pipe for the main runs, $4 - $5 for 10 Ft. I also use flex dryer hose to connect which lasts a long time and is cheap to replace. I made my own Blast Gates from scrape wood with tempered Masonite slides. Dust collector is centrally located and serves 2 band saws, thickness planer, wood lathe, table saw, radial arm saw, 6" belt sander, 1" belt sander permanently with flex hose for router, jointer, drill press, hand sanders and whatever else.

Walt Conner

Reply to
WConner

Brad, Do you still have the SolidWorks model for this?

Dave

Brad wrote:

Reply to
Dave Nay