Homemade disk sander?

I have a 1/2 HP motor with a 1/2" shaft. I use it for all sort of purposes by attaching wire brushes, buffing wheels to it, etc. Also a diamond bringing wheel with diamond layer on the outer rim.
What I would also like is to find some sort of a "disk sander attachment", basically a plate that would go on a 1/2" spindle and be tightened with an allen wrench. Alternatively it would be a wheel that would go on a wheel arbor adapter (which I also have).
My question is, what are these discs called officially (disc sanding attachment? sanding plate? etc) and what size would you recommend for a 1/2 HP motor. Seems like 8" would make sense.
thanks
If it were a lathe, it would be called a faceplate. Might want to post a query on rec.crafts.woodturning to see if someone there could help.
Me, I have a 12" sanding jig for my lathe. It's plywood. Can you bolt a plywood disk to an adapter?

Yes, I think that it would be better to use a bigger motor for this application. I have a 2 HP three phase motor. I could buy a $11 pulley from McMaster and bolt a plywood disc to that pulley. Then I would have a more serious sander (with ability to use this motor for other purposes also).
See McMaster item 6245K57 for example.
snip

9" is standard, you can buy disks that size or cut them from 9 X 12 sheets, plans for a sander using a vee-pulley and plywood disk here: http://benchnotes.com/DISK%20SANDER%20/Disk_Sander.html

Great plan, I had something similar in mind. Now I have to decide on 1/2 HP single phase vs 2 HP three phase (and size, also).
Something you may want to look at ,assuming that you have an arbor adapter (5/8 in.), is a "table saw adapter", such as the one that Price-Cutter has. It is a 10' disc with sticky back sanding discs. I bought a small second hand table saw from Craig's List and used the disc as a permanent sander. You might check out PriceCutter.com, item #510-1000, about $35.00. Can shoot you a pic if interested, or post on ABPW Bill

Much cheaper at woodcraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID 09
-Leuf

You are so right.......... Could have bought some more sanding discs and still had beer money left over :>). Live and learn. Thnx Bill

Bill, how do you attach one to a shaft?

Maybe this'll help your design: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid 4 Tom

It is perfect, just what I was looking for. I think that item 09L33 is the right one for me and will be a 100% solution to my problemn. I will have a little 1/2HP disc sander attachment without wasting space on a separate tool.

You may also want to look at a Shopsmith disk sanding attachment. It uses a 5/8" shaft, but an adaptor sleeve for 1/2" should be easy to fabricate.
Like this one: http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/sn_sandingdisc.htm
They are available all the time on ebay. I have one of the older aluminum ones and I think they are better. Search ebay for Shopsmith and you will probably find one going for $20.
Bob the Tomato