Homebuilt Wood Lathe

Page 2 of 2
Mon, Oct 23, 2006, 11:24am (EDT+4) spamhater113+ snipped-for-privacy@grymoire.com (BruceBarnett) doth sayeth: Yeah. It's important to note that many of the techniques described in these books are DANGEROUS. Maybe you have to be a little crazy to try them... On the plus side, shipping is cheap!
Waling high steel is dangerous; walking across the screet is dangerous; using woodworking tools is dagerous for some people; just gotta use common sense (which seems to be less common than it used to be), and pick and choose your projects. I'm just trying to think of something I can use homemade thermide for.
Besides, cheap shipping makes up for a lot.
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 09:36:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Well, see that? I've already done that other stuff, need something new to kill me. :)
Not much use for that homemade thermite, JOAT. I made a smallish bit of it a long time ago, and while I worked (at least partially), it was little more than a science experiment. Too hot for much beyond wrecking things.

That, and people are always telling us to recycle.
Mon, Oct 23, 2006, 2:04pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) doth sayeth: Not much use for that homemade thermite, JOAT. I made a smallish bit of it a long time ago, and while I worked (at least partially), it was little more than a science experiment. Too hot for much beyond wrecking things. <snip>
It has other uses? Actually I was thinking along the lines of cutting up old junk casrs (I have sons) into small enough pieces to put in the trash can. Probably not a real good project.
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:56:14 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Probably not. It may well do the job, but there's a signifigant fire hazard involved, and welding goggles are definitely called for. Don't do it over anything you want to keep (like the driveway). :)
My guess would be that you'd need quite a lot of the stuff. It'll burn through anything, but I suspect it helps if that "anything" is solid- like the engine block. If you put it on the roof and expect it to cut the car in two, my guess is you'd end up with a lot of bright sparks in the interior of the car lighting everything in sight on fire, and floor panels that look like swiss cheese.
Considering the amount of grinding or filing you'd need to do to have enough to scrap a car, it's probably easier (though less fun) to use a saber saw and an angle grinder.
Or even better... build a huge trebuchet and launch the suckers somewhere else. Your neighbors might not like that much, but I suspect there's a business opportunity in there somewhere. I know there have been a few cars I'd have paid good money to demolish with a huge catapult.
Tue, Oct 24, 2006, 3:50am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@business.org (Prometheus) doth sayeth: Probably not. It may well do the job, but there's a signifigant fire hazard involved, <snip>
Yeah, I know. Fun thought tho. I know a guy who cut up an entire car, and put it in his trash can to get rid of it. Took a few weeks, because the trash can would only hold so much, and I understand the trash guy was a bit miffed.
I had to have a parts car removed a bit back. Hurt to do it, but no choice at the time. The tow truck guys (actually a roll back) were about like Abott and Costello, or Laurel and Hardy, watching them made losing the car almost enjoyable.
I guess I'll have to get another Lindsay catalog and see what I need from it.
Prometheus wrote:...

Or a sawsall with a metal cutting blade. Mine cuts through 2" steel pipe right quick. Should cut through a car fast too.
If you do go the thermite route, please get it on video and post it!
--

FF

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:24:38 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Barnett

On the bright side, I'm a little crazy. Not a lot, just enough to figure some caution and knowledge is all a guy needs to do most things.

There's a bonus!
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 04:47:57 -0500, Prometheus wrote:

He also has a book on working with cast iron for the more daring.
Bill

Well, I'll see if I can handle melting aluminum first. :)