homebrew lathe motor advice...

to preface, i am a monkey-see-monkey-do electrical fiddler, so don't know much of anything beyond which end of a soldering iron to avoid touching...

just salvaged a -seemingly good- motor from our old asko washer, is it a suitable basis for a homebuilt lathe of modest capability ? ? ?

if not, is it good for any other homebrew type of wooddestroying machinery; in particular, a large-ish disc sander (10-12" dia) ? ? ?

lastly, if above motor is not suitable for a homebrew lathe, what might be a salvage-source for suitable lathe motors ? ? ?

oh, particulars on nameplate are: Siemens

1BV5565-2BM (model number?) 711.30010/23 (?) 60/250W 220V 60Hz 12 microFarads (? had mu-looking characer and 'F') Iso. K1B (not sure about the 1)

then one end of the nameplate had:

39/94 (presumably a location/date stamp or sumpin')

i have made a cursory search, but have not found info on the wiring harness, as far as the functions of the 6-wire molex-looking connnector...

any advice regarding this particular motor, and/or whatever salvageable motors work, is appreciated... thank you

eof

Reply to
ann archy

a suitable basis for a homebuilt lathe of modest capability ? ? ?

Reply to
Rob Mills

I used such a motor, with stepped pulleys to drive an 8" grinding wheel for chisel sharpening. I would show a pic, but am too embarrased (and don't know how). Tom

Reply to
Tom

Reply to
johnnymac4254

Reply to
johnnymac4254

Reply to
johnnymac4254

I doubt it - for two reasons. First of all it's probably a bit low on power. Secondly, and more seriously, it's out of a washing machine. Here in Europe such things are near-useless. They have bizarre internal wiring to give the reversing and multi-speed capability needed by a washing machine. This is a nightmare to try and rig up for general use without the original controller. They also usually have very open cases with lots of ventilation and no protection against dust or even fingers. Bare windings (insulated wire, but no case) aren't uncommon around the ends.

As I have no shortage at all of useful S/H motors, and as cheap lathes are cheap and the motor is the cheapest part of all, then I just wouldn't try too hard to make use of it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley