Homebrew Dust Collection - Howzabout A Leaf Blower/Vac?

In the discussion today of whether one could home-brew a dust collection system from a shopvac, it jogged a memory - I've got the remains of a leaf blower/vac out in the garage, unless SWMBO has tossed it. It's reasonably powerful, of course. Also pretty freakin' loud. Anyone thoughts on maybe converting this for use as a dust collector?
I'd figure a new housing for the motor might be in order, plus some sort of sound insulation, but...would it be worthwhile?
Jason
On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:53:59 -0600, "Jason Quick"

Been done already.....
http://members.aol.com/Alamaral/DC.html
not by me, I hasten to add.
HTH David
It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Jason Quick"

I doubt it. Workshop vacuums are cheap, noise is annoying.
Check out a Fein.

Those are very nice if you have the $$$.

No thanks ! Workshop vacuums are cheap - the fact that Fein make an overpriced one doesn't make the cheap ones disappear.
Although Fein's Multimaster is a lovely little tool.
I've got two DCs. One is a "proper" 4" chip collector (bag on top of bag) that I only use with the thicknesser. My cyclone for dust is powered by an Earlex workshop vacuum from Machine Mart - probably the cheapest "dustbin" vacuum you can get in the UK. Mainly because it's a small diameter, high pressure, high velocity blower compared to the chip sucker, this cheapie works a cyclone far better.
See http://members.aol.com/Alamaral/DC.html