Home-made timber saw: thoughts?

Have you seen the large (12"-15" blade) timber framing saws? They're just a heavy duty circular saw with large blades, seems to me. The Makita I recently saw was only 12 amps at that...

What would prevent someone from making their own from a decent circular saw to begin with, then fabricating a larger safety housing for the blade? That housing alone, it seems, jacks the price up about $200.

Just curious, H

ps: I'm not looking for dire warnings from scaredycats and hypersafetyites. If you have genuine experience with this sort of thing and can offer reasoned caveats, however, feel welcome to offer something.

Reply to
Hylourgos

I have the Makita 16" and the Big Foot 10". The Big Foot is a Skill Sidewinder with a larger housing and shoe bolted on. I think they also do a

14". Check Tool Crib. The Sidewinder has more torque than conventional direct drive saws.
Reply to
My Old Tools

Ahh...I hadn't considered torque. Even a sidewinder would most likely bog down under 7" or so of timber.

Thanks for jogging my brains, H

Reply to
Hylourgos

Reply to