Home-made timber saw: thoughts?

Have you seen the large (12"-15" blade) timber framing saws? They're just a heavy duty circular saw with large blades, seems to me. The Makita I recently saw was only 12 amps at that...
What would prevent someone from making their own from a decent circular saw to begin with, then fabricating a larger safety housing for the blade? That housing alone, it seems, jacks the price up about $200.
Just curious, H
ps: I'm not looking for dire warnings from scaredycats and hypersafetyites. If you have genuine experience with this sort of thing and can offer reasoned caveats, however, feel welcome to offer something.
I have the Makita 16" and the Big Foot 10". The Big Foot is a Skill Sidewinder with a larger housing and shoe bolted on. I think they also do a 14". Check Tool Crib. The Sidewinder has more torque than conventional direct drive saws.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com

It would seem to me that would be fairly easy to do buy cutting off just the outer part of the shield and expanding the dia of the shield and doing the same with the base of the saw to accommodate the increase in blade dia. As a tool and die maker of some 40 years I too make a lot of my tools and get chastised . Forgive them for they do not understand. Have fun at what you do.