Home-made air cleaner remake

I'll be keeping my eyes out for them, but they don't get up and stand in your way around here ...
Anyone seeing one available in Bergen county, NJ, email me at opahan on yahoo dot com, please ...
--
Best regards
Han

Write down the addresses of all the HVAC guys in your area and start visiting them while driving the truck/van of choice. Take a case of sodas or beer and swap tip them with it when you find the beast. They remove lots of usable furnaces every year due to new property owners, adding A/C, broken A/C warranting a whole new system, etc. My whole extra furnace unit was free for the asking. Some day, it will be a dust removal fan for the shop. <sigh> Also, check your local FreeCyclers for fans. Put up a request. It's free. Ditto Craigslist. And recycling is good for the planet.
-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin
On 10/11/2012 4:13 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:

Those are great but in the south you will be hard pressed to find a furnace blower. Maybe a motor from a heat pump blower assemble.
Home made air cleaners just don't make much sense to me when you can get the correct tool.
Somebody wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------- What you are looking for is an "Air Over" motor used to drive fan loads and get their cooling air from the fan being driven.
When you can get the job done with a 20" box fan for less than $20, why reinvent the wheel.
Lew

I have a JET model. There is an outer filter that catches most of the big stuff, but then there's an inner filter that catches quite a bit of the finer stuff. Just dropping a filter on a box fan isn't likely to catch that finer stuff.
It's also quieter on high than the box fan (but not by much), and has a timer to shut off after 2, 4, or 8 hours of running. I usually turn it on and set the timer for 8 hours. An annoying infrared remote has been included so the device doesn't have to be set where you can get to it. (It's annoying because it doesn't turn on to reasonable defaults so it takes at least 4 button pushes to set it properly--every time.)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.