Home Depot Workbench

I needed a portable workbench for my jobsite, kind of in a hurry. It needed to be portable but sturdy enough to mount a woodworking vice on, and storage underneath was desirable, too, so that I could load up all my equipment and wheel it to the overhead door and into the van for weekend jobs. There wasn't enough time to make one and, what the hell, if the price was right, it made more sense to buy, IF something could be found with all the right features. The next day in Home Depot I saw it, as if I had designed it myself. For a hundred dollars, you get a bench with a 1 1/2" thick laminated wood top

54" long and 18" wide, with big locking wheels. It also has two deep drawers on ball bearing slides and a couple of shelves. The cabinet is made of fairly heavy steel, and it went together quickly because instead of nuts, there are threaded lugs welded to the parts in the right spots. I made a tool tray a la cabinetmaker's workbench, which sits on metal shelf brackets from the hardware store, and I ordered a 10" woodworkers vice which I'm going to mount on the front somehow. A very nice buy.
Reply to
BUB 209

I don't see this online at homedepot.com - could you tell us the brand? Thanks,

Reply to
lymburner

I've looked at that one, but mostly just at the top, wondering if I could get the top alone or laminate up one just like it.

Mass counts when it comes to woodworking benches. Wood absorbs vibration, where steel transmits it and/or harmonizes it to make it appear elsewhere.

If it meets your needs, then God bless. It wouldn't meet mine, not to mention that it wouldn't fit in the garage, where SWMBO is already casting a critical eye on everything that's intruding on her soon-to-be at-home pet grooming business. (She's been a groomer for 12 years, and is tired of working for anyone but herself, tired of paying child care, and tired of missing many hours of Herr Toddler's formative years.)

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Sorry, I threw away the box. Maybe if you go into the store...

Reply to
BUB 209

It's odd that I posted the original about this over a month ago and it's just now showing up on my screen, but if you'd at least like to see what it looks like, go to

BUB 209