Home Depot - what a bunch of maroons

Page 4 of 6
Mike Marlow wrote:

Their modus operandi is to have their own stores compete against each other.

with their own store, as well as all the other stores nearby (lowes, sears, circuit city, target, bonton, etc
On 10 Dec 2006 21:44:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Because there's enough business in the area to support another store?
Duh, did you really need us to tell you that?
Mike Marlow wrote: [brevitized]

I know of a few examples in this area where hard working families slugged it out to have a few quality stores which serviced the community quite well. Many plowed a lot back into the community. Many did a lot of work through service clubs. The families did well because they filled a need. One of them would drive an hour to another town and back every other morning at 4 AM so that his customers could have a fresher banana. Sometimes, on his way back, he'd stuff a few bananas in the mailbox of some customers who he felt should stay in that day because the weather sucked. Meanwhile, his own kids were shopping at the huge K-Mart SuperMegaGinormous Centre across the river. It ain't fair and it ain't right.
Very few give a fark about values any more.
*cues some vinyl LP*
"Soon the pines will be falling everywhere Village children fight each other for a share And the 6:09 goes roaring past the creek Deacon Lee prepares his sermon for next week
I saw grandma yesterday down at the store Well she's really going fine for eighty four Well she asked me if sometime I'd fix her barn Poor old girl she needs a hand to run the farm
And it's good old country comfort in my bones Just the sweetest sound my ears have ever known Just an old-fashioned feeling fully-grown Country comfort's in a truck that's going home
Down at the well they've got a new machine The foreman says it cuts man-power by fifteen Yeah but that ain't natural well so old Clay would say You see he's a horse-drawn man until his dying day
Now the old fat goose is flying cross the sticks The hedgehog's done in clay between the bricks And the rocking chair's creaking on the porch Across the valley moves the herdsman with his torch"

What isn't fair, right and what does values have to do with paying more or paying less or shopping in one place or another? In my Dad's youth my neighborhood had a small grocery store on virtually every corner, in the days of little refrigeration and few cars people shopped daily...they also spent over 40% of their income on basic food.... they had few choices on brands, products or price but often as not a really cool shopkeeper whom gave the kids penny candy and the family some credit through the bad times........compared to a modern store with endless aisles of every product imaginable, choices galore and a price point only taking 15-20% of a families income......Life is full of trade offs and for every gain (price) there are certain loses (friendly shopkeeper) but fair has nothing to do with it....and you can if you so choose do all of your shopping at the nearest convenient quick mart but for some funny reason most do not.......Rod
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 17:12:15 -0800, Mike 'Flyin'8'

Gotcha.
Because their customers chose, of thier own free will, to shop somewhere else. The mom & pop stores closed because they couldn't compete. Competition is the cornerstone of capitalism.

Likely because they weren't making a profit. Are you saying that the mom & pop stores can't re-open now that they can compete again?

You are correct. But that was not th OP's comment either.

Same as above.
Mike Alexander PP-ASEL Temecula, CA See my online aerial photo album at http://flying.4alexanders.com

That was precisely my original point when I stated that the idea that Wal Mart drives out small businesses is a fallacy.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

No, the OP was asserting that it's somehow Walmart's fault that mom & pop stores can't compete, but also that it's Walmart's responsibility to stick around if they're not making a profit. I pointed out that both were wrong.
I agree that it is certainly not WalMart's fault that another business can not compete. I also agreethat it is not there responsibility to operate a non-profit business. I never even expressed a concern remotely close to either of these. I only bring the facts to the table about one small town that had a WalMart, small businesses went away as a direct result. This was soon followed by WalMarts departure.

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL

Correction: you bring to the table these unsubstantiated claims. Not facts.
--
Regards,
Definition of Fact is: a truth known by actual experience or observation
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:43:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Mike Alexander PP-ASEL Temecula, CA See my online aerial photo album at http://flying.4alexanders.com

I see you're still having trouble understanding the difference between a "fact" and a "claim". Perhaps I can help.
Fact: "something that has been objectively verified." Claim: "an assertion of truth." [American Heritage Dictionary]
See the difference now?

In other words -- you *still* are unable to substantiate your claims. You are not entitled to have them regarded by others as facts until you do.
--
Regards,
"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in message

What is "true", from observation and experience, and besides overriding my filters, is that you're arguing with someone who is basically here to do nothing but, so just block him and be done with it ... guaranteed that you'll have less argumentative crap to wade through.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL

I argue with people who post nonsense. If that upsets you, don't post nonsense.
--
Regards,
<...snipped...>

Is that a fact or a claim?

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - snipped-for-privacy@charm.net
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net () wrote:

Take your pick. :-)
--
Regards,
On 07 Dec 2006 23:16:28 GMT, Flyin' snipped-for-privacy@here.com wrote:

Which is fine, I was just pointing out that there were likely economic realities involved that had nothing to do with Walmart being an evil empire, especially in 1986. Bixby is still there, it didn't dry up and blow away in the wind, and today there are not only 8 Walmarts in the area, but tons of small business to boot.
Not sure what the complaint is.

I still think it's amazing how many people completely misunderstand capitalism. Walmart and HD do not drive *ANYONE* out of business. If anything, it's the CUSTOMERS who choose, of their own free will, to shop at Walmart and HD, that do it. Walmart and HD don't herd customers at gunpoint into their stores, they simply offer lower prices, because of their size and buying power, and people make the CHOICE to shop there. So anyone who claims that Walmart and HD drive anyone out of business is a bald-faced liar.
And if they moved out of Bixby, it's likely they couldn't make enough money to make a profit, what do you expect them to do? They leave and anyone else who wants to start a business again is welcome to.
It's called competition. It's the cornerstone of the economic system of capitalism.
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 20:23:31 +0000, Brian Henderson wrote:

Says the Wal-Mart apologist. Kind of hard to compete with an operation that is several orders of magnitude larger than yours unless you can find some way other than price to differentiate yourself, and that is difficult with mass-market consumer goods.

Which system in its unfettered state proved to be an unmitigated disaster hence the Sherman Antitrust Act and other legislation.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate